Extending the SAM with Social and Environmental Indicators: An Application to Bolivia
AbstractExtending economic accounts with sets of social and environmental indicators is a first step towards a more integrated analysis of aspects of sustainability problems. In this article, therefore, a proposal is made to nest social and environmental indicators into an existing economic accounting framework. The Social Accounting Matrix (SAM) is taken as a basis, because of its flexibility regarding extensions with non-monetary data addressing social and environmental concerns. The main thrust of the paper is methodological. From the discussion of methodological issues and the application to the SAM for Bolivia for the year 1989, it is concluded that it is, in principle, feasible and relatively simple to extend the SAM with the two sets of indicators. However, additional data will have to be collected to be able to address, more adequately, the problems of sustainability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Economic Systems Research.
Volume (Year): 12 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CESR20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhongxiang Zhang, 1998. "Macro-economic and Sectoral Effects of Carbon Taxes: A General Equilibrium Analysis for China," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 135-159.
- Pyatt, Graham, 1990. "Accounting for Time Use," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 36(1), pages 33-52, March.
- Bourguinon, Francois & Branson, William H. & De Melo, Jaime, 1989.
"Adjustment and income distribution : a counterfactual analysis,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
215, The World Bank.
- Francois Bourguignon & William H. Branson & Jaime de Melo, 1989. "Adjustment and Income Distribution: A Counterfactual Analysis," NBER Working Papers 2943, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- André Fargeix & Elisabeth Sadoulet, 1990. "A Financial Computable General Equilibrium Model for the Analysis of Ecuador's Stabilization Programs," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 10, OECD Publishing.
- de Haan, Mark & Keuning, Steven J, 1996. "Taking the Environment into Account: The NAMEA Approach," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 42(2), pages 131-48, June.
- Bartelmus, Peter & Stahmer, Carsten & van Tongeren, Jan, 1991. "Integrated Environmental and Economic Accounting: Framework for a SNA Satellite System," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 37(2), pages 111-48, June.
- Robinson, Sherman, 1989. "Multisectoral models," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 18, pages 885-947 Elsevier.
- Tarp, Finn & Roland-Holst, David & Rand, John, 2002.
"Trade and Income Growth in Vietnam: Estimates from a New Social Accounting Matrix,"
29395, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Finn Tarp & David Roland-Holst & John Rand, 2002. "Trade and Income Growth in Vietnam: Estimates from a New Social Accounting Matrix," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 157-184.
- Flores, Monica & Mainar, Alfredo J., 2010. "AnÃ¡lisis del impacto medioambiental derivado de las actividades econÃ³micas. AplicaciÃ³n a una economÃa regional," Economia Agraria y Recursos Naturales, Spanish Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 10(2).
- Manfred Lenzen & Roberto Schaeffer, 2004. "Environmental and Social Accounting for Brazil," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 27(2), pages 201-226, February.
- Susana Santos, 2005. "Social Accounting Matrix and the System of National Accounts: An Application," Working Papers 2005/14, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
- Susana Santos, 2003. "Social Accounting Matrices for Portugal in 1998-99. Modelling the effects of charges in government receipts and expenditures," Working Papers 2003/07, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.