Export activity, persistence and mark-ups
AbstractThis article addresses the differences in margins across exporting and nonexporting firms. We jointly estimate a translog cost function, a variable factor share equation and price-cost margin equations to analyse the effect of persistence in export activity on margins. Results indicate that nonexporters have smaller margins than persistent exporters and firms that entered foreign markets during the nineties. However, larger export ratio is negatively associated with margins for persistent exporters. It suggests that efficiency advantages for exporters are partially compensated by higher competitive pressure in international markets. These results are in accordance with the predictions of Melitz and Ottaviano (2005).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 42 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Barajas, A. & Huergo, E. & Moreno, L., 2012. "The Impact of International Research Joint Ventures on SMEs Performance," MPRA Paper 36306, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Diego Rodriguez & Lourdes Moreno, 2013.
"The effect of international trade on markups distribution,"
Economics and Business Letters,
Oviedo University Press, vol. 2(1).
- Moreno, L & Rodríguez, D, 2009. "The effect of international trade on mark-ups distribution," MPRA Paper 22652, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luis C. Corchón & Lourdes Moreno, 2010.
"Interpreting markups in Spanish manufacturing: the exponential model,"
Economics Working Papers
we1030, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Corchón, Luis C. & Moreno, L., 2010. "Interpreting markups in Spanish manufacturing: The exponential model," MPRA Paper 26609, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Corchón, Luis C. & Moreno, Lourdes, . "Interpreting markups in Spanish manufacturing: the exponential model," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/9692, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Saara Tamminen & Chang Han-Hsin, 2012. "Company heterogeneity and mark-up variability," Working Papers 32, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Lourdes Moreno & Diego Rodríguez, 2011.
"Markups, Bargaining Power and Offshoring: An Empirical Assessment-super-1,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(9), pages 1593-1627, 09.
- Moreno, L & Rodríguez, D, 2010. "Markups, bargaining power and offshoring: an empirical assessment," MPRA Paper 23587, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lourdes Moreno & Diego Rodríguez, 2010. "Markups, bargaining power and offshoring: An empirical assessment," Working Papers 10-05, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.