On the Relationship between International Outsourcing and Price--Cost Margins in European Industries
AbstractThis paper sets up a model, where multinationals compete in quantities and domestic firms form a competitive fringe. Within this framework, we analyse the relationship between market concentration, international outsourcing and the industry price-cost margin. The empirical results of a panel of 66 industries and the EU12 countries in the 1990s strongly confirm our theoretical hypotheses. Market concentration and international outsourcing are positively related to industry price--cost margins. In a thought experiment, we show that industry price--cost margins would have decreased by 0.4 percentage points more in the 1990s, if international outsourcing had not changed since 1990. In addition, international outsourcing accounts for a convergence in margins across industries in the last decade.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Review of Industrial Organization.
Volume (Year): 25 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100336
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fabrice Defever, 2011.
"Incomplete Contracts and the Impact of Globalization on Consumer Welfare,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp1057, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Fabrice Defever, 2011. "Incomplete Contracts and the Impact of Globalization on Consumer Welfare," CESifo Working Paper Series 3484, CESifo Group Munich.
- Fabrice Defever, . "Incomplete Contracts and the Impact of Globalization on Consumer Welfare," Discussion Papers 11/08, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Moreno, L & Rodríguez, D, 2010.
"Markups, bargaining power and offshoring: an empirical assessment,"
23587, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lourdes Moreno & Diego Rodríguez, 2011. "Markups, Bargaining Power and Offshoring: An Empirical Assessment-super-1," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(9), pages 1593-1627, 09.
- Lourdes Moreno & Diego Rodríguez, 2010. "Markups, bargaining power and offshoring: An empirical assessment," Working Papers 10-05, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Michael Hübler, 2007. "A Simple Model of Outsourcing with Cournot Competition," Kiel Working Papers 1320, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Silvia Rocha-Akis & Ronnie Schöb, 2010.
"Welfare Policy in the Presence of Unionised Labour and Internationally Mobile Firms,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3032, CESifo Group Munich.
- Silvia Rocha‐Akis & Ronnie Schöb, 2011. "Welfare Policy in the Presence of Unionised Labour and Internationally Mobile Firms," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 113(1), pages 93-119, 03.
- Rocha-Akis, Silvia & Schöb, Ronnie, 2009. "Welfare policy in the presence of unionised labour and internationally mobile firms," Discussion Papers 2009/14, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.