Domestic and Foreign Price/Marginal-cost Margins: an Application to Spanish Manufacturing Firms
AbstractThe authors investigate the differences in margins of export and domestic markets for Spanish manufacturing firms in the period 1990 to 1997. They estimate jointly a multiproduct cost function, a variable factor share equation, and two price/marginal-cost margin equations. The results indicate that the marginal cost of production sold in export markets is slightly greater than in domestic markets. At the same time, the price/marginal-cost margins in export markets are smaller than in domestic markets. There is also strong evidence that margins are procyclical in domestic markets, but this evidence is less clear in foreign markets. Copyright Blackwell Publishing Ltd 2004.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0965-7576
Other versions of this item:
- Lourdes Moreno Martín & Diego Rodríguez Rodríguez, 2000. "Domestic and foreign price-marginal cost margins: an application to Spanish manufacturing firms," Working Papers, AsociaciÃ³n EspaÃ±ola de EconomÃa y Finanzas Internacionales 00-03, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lourdes Moreno & Diego Rodríguez, 2011.
"Markups, Bargaining Power and Offshoring: An Empirical Assessment-super-1,"
The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(9), pages 1593-1627, 09.
- Moreno, L & Rodríguez, D, 2010. "Markups, bargaining power and offshoring: an empirical assessment," MPRA Paper 23587, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lourdes Moreno & Diego Rodríguez, 2010. "Markups, bargaining power and offshoring: An empirical assessment," Working Papers, AsociaciÃ³n EspaÃ±ola de EconomÃa y Finanzas Internacionales 10-05, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/6123 is not listed on IDEAS
- Moreno, Rosina & Lopez-Bazo, Enrique & Artis, Manuel, 2002. "Evaluating the optimality of Spanish industry (1980-1993)," ERSA conference papers ersa02p353, European Regional Science Association.
- Sarah Guillou & Stefano Schiavo, 2007.
"Export prices and increasing world competition: evidence from French, German, and Italian pricing behavior,"
Documents de Travail de l'OFCE, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE)
2007-25, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Sarah Guillou & Stefano Schiavo, 2007. "Export prices and increasing world competition : evidence from French, German and Italian pricing behavior," Sciences Po publications 2007-25, Sciences Po.
- Diego Rodriguez & Lourdes Moreno, 2013.
"The effect of international trade on markups distribution,"
Economics and Business Letters, Oviedo University Press,
Oviedo University Press, vol. 2(1).
- Moreno, L & Rodríguez, D, 2009. "The effect of international trade on mark-ups distribution," MPRA Paper 22652, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.