Scoring on the stock exchange? The effect of football matches on stock market returns: an event study
AbstractWe analyse the effect of results of football matches on the stock market performance of football teams. We analyse 1274 matches of eight teams in the national and European competition during 2000-2004. We find that the stock market response is significant and positive for victories and negative for defeats. The response is significantly stronger in the case of defeat. The response is stronger for matches in the European competition than for those in the national competition. Unexpected results have a stronger impact for European matches than expected ones but this is not the case in the national competition.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 41 (2009)
Issue (Month): 25 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Doerrenberg, Philipp & Siegloch, Sebastian, 2014.
"Is soccer good for you? The motivational impact of big sporting events on the unemployed,"
Elsevier, vol. 123(1), pages 66-69.
- Doerrenberg, Philipp & Siegloch, Sebastian, 2014. "Is Soccer Good for You? The Motivational Impact of Big Sporting Events on the Unemployed," IZA Discussion Papers 7890, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fung, Ka Wai Terence & Demir, Ender & Lau, Marco Chi Keung & Chan, Kwok Ho, 2013. "An Examination of Sports Event Sentiment: Microeconomic Evidence from Borsa Istanbul," MPRA Paper 52874, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dennis Coates & Brad R. Humphreys, 2008. "The Effect of On-Field Success on Stock Prices: Evidence from Nippon Professional Baseball," Working Papers 0805, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Robert Gasquez & Vicente Royuela, 2012. "Is football an indicator of development at the international level?," Working Papers in Economics 275, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.