Demand for football and intramatch winning probability: an essay on the glorious uncertainty of sports
AbstractThe aims of this study are (i) to identify the main determinants of the demand for French Premiere Division football matches using all matches played during the 1997/1998 season, (ii) to estimate a team-specific probability of success, and (iii) to propose an updating process for the intramatch winning probability. The methodology is tested empirically over an out-of-sample data set using matches of the 1998/1999 season. The results show that football appears to be an inferior product affected by both socio-economic and football variables, and that the main football variables have only a tenuous explanatory power concerning the final outcome of a given match.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 32 (2000)
Issue (Month): 13 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Other versions of this item:
- Falter, J.-M. & Perignon, C., 2000. "Demand for Football and Intra-Match Winning Probability: an Essay on the Glorious Uncertainty of Sports," Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva 2000.15, Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève.
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Drayer, Joris & Shapiro, Stephen L., 2011. "An examination into the factors that influence consumers’ perceptions of value," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 389-398.
- Barajas, Angel, 2004.
"Modelo de valoración de clubes de fútbol basado en los factores clave de su negocio
[Valuation model for football clubs based on the key factors of their business]," MPRA Paper 13158, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Egon Franck & Stephan NÃ¼esch, 2007.
"The Role of Patriotism in Explaining TV Audience of National Team Games - Evidence from Four International Tournaments,"
0014, University of Zurich, Center for Research in Sports Administration (CRSA).
- Egon Franck & Stephan Nüesch, 2007. "The Role of Patriotism in Explaining TV Audience of National Team Games - Evidence from Four International Tournaments," Working Papers 0065, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Kevin Alavy & Alison Gaskell & Stephanie Leach & Stefan Szymanski, 2006.
"On the Edge of Your Seat: Demand for Football on Television and the Uncertainty of Outcome Hypothesis,"
0631, International Association of Sports Economists;North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Kevin Alavy & Alison Gaskell & Stephanie Leach & Stefan Szymanski, 2010. "On the Edge of Your Seat: Demand for Football on Television and the Uncertainty of Outcome Hypothesis," International Journal of Sport Finance, Fitness Information Technology, vol. 5(2), pages 75-95, May.
- Yusuf Emre Akgunduz & Marcel van den Berg, 2013. "Make or buy? Human capital accumulation strategies in European club football," Working Papers, Utrecht School of Economics 13-17, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Drayer, Joris & Rascher, Daniel A. & McEvoy, Chad D., 2012. "An examination of underlying consumer demand and sport pricing using secondary market data," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 448-460.
- Barajas, Angel & Crolley, Liz, 2005. "A model to explain support in Spanish football," MPRA Paper 3235, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Raul Caruso & Marco Di Domizio, 2012. "Domanda Di Calcio E Violenza Negli Stadi: Unâ€™Analisi Panel Sulla Serie A," Rivista di Diritto ed Economia dello Sport, Centro di diritto e business dello Sport, Centro di diritto e business dello Sport, vol. 8(2), pages 41-66, settembre.
- Caruso Raul & Di Domizio Marco, 2013. "Hooliganism and demand for football in Italy: Attendance and counter-violence policy evaluation," wp.comunite 0101, Department of Communication, University of Teramo.
- Leif Brandes & Egon Franck & Stephan Nuesch, 2006.
"Local Heroes and Superstars - An Empirical Analysis of Star Attraction in German Soccer,"
0007, University of Zurich, Center for Research in Sports Administration (CRSA), revised 2007.
- Leif Brandes & Egon Franck & Stephan Nuesch, 2006. "Local Heroes and Superstars - An Empirical Analysis of Star Attraction in German Soccer," Working Papers 0046, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU), revised 2007.
- Rottmann, Horst & Seitz, Franz, 2006. "Warum gehen die Leute in die Fußballstadien? Eine empirische Analyse der Fußball-Bundesliga," OTH im Dialog: Weidener Diskussionspapiere 1, University of Applied Sciences Amberg-Weiden (OTH).
- P. Dorian Owen, 2013. "Measurement of Competitive Balance and Uncertainty of Outcome," Working Papers 1311, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Aug 2013.
- Papahristodoulou, Christos, 2007. "An analysis of Champions League match statistics," MPRA Paper 3605, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wladimir Andreff, 2014. "Building Blocks for a Disequilibrium Model of a European Team Sports League," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00971782, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.