The effectiveness of coach turnover and the effect on home team advantage, team quality and team ranking
AbstractThe effectiveness of coach turnover on team performance is widely discussed in the literature due to the indirect impact of a team’s performance on a club’s revenues. This study examines the effect of coach turnover within a competition season by focusing on the change in team quality and the change in home team advantage under the new coach. The change in team quality or home team advantage can vary according to the team (team specific) or might be an independent quantity (non-team specific). We estimated nine possible regression models, given no change, team specific change and non-team specific change in quality or home team advantage. The data are match results of Belgian male soccer teams playing in the highest national division during seven seasons. Results point to a team specific effect of a new coach on a team’s quality. This paper further contributes by evaluating the new coach’s success with regard to whether his ability to improve team quality also results in a better position of the team in the final ranking. A new coach will be able to improve the ranking of the team if the improved team quality under the new coach renders a positive team quality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration in its series Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium with number 08/535.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2008
Date of revision:
Managerial change; home team advantage; team performance; team quality; regression model; individual match data; team ranking;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-12-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-2008-12-21 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-SPO-2008-12-21 (Sports & Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. H. Koning, 2003. "An econometric evaluation of the effect of firing a coach on team performance," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(5), pages 555-564.
- Sangit Chatterjee & Frederick Wiseman & Robert Perez, 2002. "Studying improved performance in golf," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(8), pages 1219-1227.
- Audas, Rick & Dobson, Stephen & Goddard, John, 2002. "The impact of managerial change on team performance in professional sports," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 54(6), pages 633-650.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Verhaeghe).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.