Measurement of aggregate risk with copulas
AbstractWhen aggregating financial risk on a portfolio level, the specification of the dependence structure between the risk factors plays an important role. Promising parametric models are often based on a so-called copula approach. Case studies of market crashes suggest the application of concepts allowing for extremal dependence. We present a transformed copula as a new model that both fits the data and allows for exact prediction in the tails. It turns out that the new model improves benchmark models like the t- or Clayton copula with respect to risk measures like VaR or Expected Shortfall. By performing different goodness-of-fit tests, the quality of the estimation is examined. Copyright 2005 Royal Economic Society
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Econometrics Journal.
Volume (Year): 8 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hans Manner & Bertrand Candelon, 2010.
"Testing For Asset Market Linkages: A New Approach Based On Time-Varying Copulas,"
Pacific Economic Review,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 364-384, 08.
- Manner, Hans & Candelon, Bertrand, 2007. "Testing for Asset Market Linkages: A new Approach based on Time-Varying Copulas," Research Memoranda 052, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Gregor Weiß, 2011. "Copula parameter estimation by maximum-likelihood and minimum-distance estimators: a simulation study," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 31-54, March.
- Weiß, Gregor N.F., 2011. "Are Copula-GoF-tests of any practical use? Empirical evidence for stocks, commodities and FX futures," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 173-188, May.
- Chen, Jian & Peng, Liang & Zhao, Yichuan, 2009. "Empirical likelihood based confidence intervals for copulas," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 137-151, January.
- Fantazzini, Dean, 2009. "The effects of misspecified marginals and copulas on computing the value at risk: A Monte Carlo study," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 2168-2188, April.
- Okhrin, Ostap & Okhrin, Yarema & Schmid, Wolfgang, 2013. "On the structure and estimation of hierarchical Archimedean copulas," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 173(2), pages 189-204.
- Manner, Hans, 2007. "Estimation and Model Selection of Copulas with an Application to Exchange Rates," Research Memoranda 056, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Ostap Okhrin, 2010. "Fitting high-dimensional Copulae to Data," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2010-022, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Chandra Bhat & Ipek Sener, 2009. "A copula-based closed-form binary logit choice model for accommodating spatial correlation across observational units," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 243-272, September.
- Xu, Wei & Filler, Gunther & Odening, Martin & Okhrin, Ostap, 2009.
"On the Systemic Nature of Weather Risk,"
2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China
51426, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Xu, Wei & Filler, Gunther & Odening, Martin & Okhrin, Ostap, 2009. "On the Systemic Nature of Weather Risk," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49131, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Guenther Filler & Martin Odening & Ostap Okhrin & Wei Xu, 2009. "On the Systemic Nature of Weather Risk," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2009-002, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Nguyen, Tristan & Molinari, Robert Danilo, 2009. "Quantifizierung von Abhängigkeitsstrukturen zwischen Risiken in Versicherungsunternehmen," German Risk and Insurance Review (GRIR), University of Cologne, Department of Risk Management and Insurance, vol. 5(2), pages 28-52.
- Grundke, Peter & Polle, Simone, 2012. "Crisis and risk dependencies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 223(2), pages 518-528.
- Qu, Leming & Yin, Wotao, 2012. "Copula density estimation by total variation penalized likelihood with linear equality constraints," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 384-398.
- Brodsky, Boris & Penikas, Henry & Safaryan, Irina, 2009. "Detection of Structural Breaks in Copula Models," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 16(4), pages 3-15.
- Gunky Kim & Mervyn J. Silvapulle & Paramsothy Silvapulle, 2007. "Estimating the Error Distribution in the Multivariate Heteroscedastic Time Series Models," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 8/07, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Hayette Gatfaoui, 2010. "Investigating the dependence structure between credit default swap spreads and the U.S. financial market," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 511-535, October.
- Jean-David Fermanian, 2012. "An overview of the goodness-of-fit test problem for copulas," Papers 1211.4416, arXiv.org.
- Genest, Christian & Rémillard, Bruno & Beaudoin, David, 2009. "Goodness-of-fit tests for copulas: A review and a power study," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 199-213, April.
- Bhatti, M. Ishaq & Nguyen, Cuong C., 2012. "Diversification evidence from international equity markets using extreme values and stochastic copulas," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 622-646.
- Bhat, Chandra R. & Eluru, Naveen, 2009. "A copula-based approach to accommodate residential self-selection effects in travel behavior modeling," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 43(7), pages 749-765, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.