Do transport costs have a differential effect on trade at the sectoral level?
AbstractThis article aims to analyse the determinants of transport costs and to investigate their influence in international trade with a sample of disaggregate trade data. First, we estimate a transport-cost function using cross-section data on maritime and overland transport for four sectors: agro-industry, ceramic tiles, motor vehicle parts and accessories, and electrical and mechanical household appliances, obtained from interviews held with Spanish exporters and logistics operators in 2001. Second, we study the relationship between transport costs and trade and estimate the elasticity of trade with respect to transport costs for each sector. Important differences for high value- and low value-added sectors are observed. The trade-equation estimation shows that higher transport costs significantly deter trade, especially in high value-added sectors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 40 (2008)
Issue (Month): 24 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Osborne, Theresa & Pachon, Maria Claudia & Araya, Gonzalo Enrique, 2014. "What drives the high price of road freight transport in Central America ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6844, The World Bank.
- Nguyen, Hong-Oanh & Tongzon, Jose, 2010. "Causal nexus between the transport and logistics sector and trade: The case of Australia," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 135-146, May.
- Königer, Jens & Busse, Matthias & Hoekstra, Ruth, 2011.
"The Impact of Aid for Trade Facilitation on the Costs of Trading,"
Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011
48, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Matthias Busse & Ruth Hoekstra & Jens Königer, 2012. "The Impact of Aid for Trade Facilitation on the Costs of Trading," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(2), pages 143-163, 05.
- Sierra-Fernández, Mª Del Pilar & Martínez-Campillo, Almudena, 2009. "Impacto del proceso de integración europea sobre las exportaciones de Castilla y León (1993-2007): un análisis econométrico a partir de la ecuación de gravedad/The Impact of the European Integrat," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 27, pages 783 (34 pÃ¡, Diciembre.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Gordon Wilmsmeier, 2008. "Determinants of Maritime Transport Costs. A Panel Data Analysis for Latin American Trade," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 172, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.