Monetary transmission in Spain: a structural cointegrated VAR approach
AbstractThis paper analyses the monetary policy channels in Spain using a cointegrated structural VAR approach which explicitly accounts for endogenous policy reactions in a small open economy. Evidence is found of one cointegrating relation which is identified as a long-run money demand function. In addition, stability tests are applied to this relationship to assess whether there has been a change of monetary regime. The impulse-responses for the non-monetary shocks as well as the absence of the puzzles traditionally found in the empirical literature, suggest that the model specification identifies the monetary policy shocks correctly. Thus, according to our results, a monetary contraction causes a weak downward response in the price level, as well as an increase in both short and long-run nominal interest rates, a decrease in aggregate output and an exchange rate appreciation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 34 (2002)
Issue (Month): 17 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carstensen, Kai & Hagen, Jan & Hossfeld, Oliver & Neaves, Abelardo S., 2009.
"Money demand stability and inflation prediction in the four largest EMU countries,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19946, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Kai Carstensen & Jan Hagen & Oliver Hossfeld & Abelardo Salazar Neaves, 2009. "Money Demand Stability And Inflation Prediction In The Four Largest Emu Countries," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 56(1), pages 73-93, 02.
- Kai Carstensen & Jan Hagen & Oliver Hossfeld & Abelardo Salazar Neaves, 2008. "Money Demand Stability and Inflation Prediction in the Four Largest EMU Countries," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 61, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Abelardo Salazar Neaves & Oliver Hossfeld & Jan Hagen & Kai Carstensen, 2008. "Money Demand Stability and Inflation: Prediction in the Four Largest EMU Countries," Kiel Working Papers 1443, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Daniela Sonedda, 2006. "A structural VAR approach on labour taxation policies," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(1), pages 95-114.
- Oxley, Les & Reale, Marco & Wilson, Granville Tunnicliffe, 2009.
"Constructing structural VAR models with conditional independence graphs,"
Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM),
Elsevier, vol. 79(9), pages 2910-2916.
- Les Oxley & Marco Reale & Granville Tunnicliffe Wilson, 2008. "Constructing Structural VAR Models with Conditional Independence Graphs," Working Papers in Economics 08/19, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Alfred A Haug & Ozer Karagedikli & Satish Ranchhoud, 2003.
"Monetary policy transmission mechanisms and currency unions: A vector error correction approach to a Trans-Tasman currency union,"
Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series
DP2003/04, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Haug, Alfred A. & Karagedikli, Ozer & Ranchhod, Satish, 2005. "Monetary policy transmission mechanisms and currency unions: A vector error correction approach to a Trans-Tasman currency union," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 55-74, February.
- Alfred A. Haug & Ozer Karagedikli & Satish Ranchhod, 2003. "Monetary policy transmission mechanisms and currency unions A vector error correction approach to a Trans-Tasman currency union," Working Papers, York University, Department of Economics 2003_2, York University, Department of Economics.
- Par Osterholm, 2008. "A structural Bayesian VAR for model-based fan charts," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(12), pages 1557-1569.
- D'Adamo, Gaetano, 2010.
"Estimating Central Bank preferences in a small open economy: Sweden 1995-2009,"
26575, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gaetano Dâ€™Adamo, 2011. "Estimating Central Bank preferences in a small open economy: Sweden 1995-2009," Working Papers, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia 1111, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
- Amir Kia, 2006. "Economic policies and demand for money: evidence from Canada," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(12), pages 1389-1407.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.