Monetary Policy and the Term Structure of Interest Rates in Japan
AbstractThis paper uses Japanese data to investigate the relationship between monetary policy and the yield curve. We compare and contrast the role of monetary policy under two perspectives. Under the liquidity effect maintained hypothesis monetary policy is an ineffective tool in altering long-term bond yields and doesnft account for much of the long-term variation in bonds of any maturity. Under the sticky price maintained hypothesis, however, monetary policy has large and persistent effects on the yield curve producing large hump-shaped responses in yields of all maturities. Moreover, under this hypothesis shocks to monetary policy and other macroeconomic variables are important sources of variation in long-term yields jointly accounting for 50% of the long-run variance of the 5-year yield.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo in its series CIRJE F-Series with number CIRJE-F-252.
Length: 41 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Braun, R. Anton & Shioji, Etsuro, 2006. "Monetary Policy and the Term Structure of Interest Rates in Japan," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(1), pages 141-162, February.
- NEP-ALL-2003-12-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2003-12-07 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2003-12-07 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2003-12-07 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2003-12-07 (South East Asia)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Filippo COSSETTI & Francesco GUIDI, 2009. "ECB Monetary Policy and Term Structure of Interest Rates in the Euro Area: an Empirical Analysis," Working Papers 334, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Shin-ichi Fukuda, 2008.
"The Rise of China and Sustained Recovery of Japan,"
CARF-F-135, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.