Bootstrapping the data envelopment analysis Malmquist productivity index
AbstractThis paper presents a bootstrap approach to calculate confidence intervals for firm-specific Malmquist productivity indices obtained from data envelopment analysis (DEA) models. The bootstrap is easily implemented and allows identification of production units that have significant productivity changes. An application using data from Swedish eye-care departments is included. We find that 40% of departments have significant progress in productivity whereas only 10% of the departments have a significant regress in productivity. This differs from the original results where about half the sample have estimates of progress and the other half have estimates of regress in productivity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 31 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kanybek Nur-tegin, 2007. "Do Transition Economies and Developing Countries Have Similar Destinies?," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 35(3), pages 327-342, September.
- Lamb, John D. & Tee, Kai-Hong, 2012. "Resampling DEA estimates of investment fund performance," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 223(3), pages 834-841.
- Jose Zofio, 2007.
"Malmquist productivity index decompositions: a unifying framework,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(18), pages 2371-2387.
- Zofío, José Luis, 2006. "Malmquist Productivity Index Decompositions: A Unifying Framework," Working Papers in Economic Theory 2006/12, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain), Department of Economic Analysis (Economic Theory and Economic History).
- Matthews, Kent & Zhang, Nina (Xu), 2010. "Bank productivity in China 1997-2007: Measurement and convergence," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 617-628, December.
- Joseph G. Hirschberg & Jenny N. Lye, 2001. "Clustering in a Data Envelopment Analysis Using Bootstrapped Efficiency Scores," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 800, The University of Melbourne.
- Theodoridis, A.M. & Psychoudakis, A. & Christofi, A., 2006. "Data Envelopment Analysis as a Complement to Marginal Analysis," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 7(2), August.
- André Leclerc & Mario Fortin, 2003. "Mesure De La Production Bancaire, Rationalisation Et Efficacité Des Caisses Populaires Desjardins," Cahiers de recherche 03-07, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Kent Matthews & Nina Zhang, 2009.
"Bank Productivity in China 1997-2007: An Exercise in Measurement,"
252009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Matthews, Kent & Zhang, Nina, 2009. "Bank Productivity in China 1997-2007: An Exercise in Measurement," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2009/14, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.