On the asymmetric effects of money-supply shocks: international evidence from a panel of OECD countries
AbstractWe examine whether the asymmetric effect of money on output is an international phenomenon, and investigate the reasons for this asymmetry. Quarterly data from the 1963-93 period for a panel of twelve OECD countries strongly support asymmetry internationally: negative money-supply shocks are shown to have a stronger effect on output than positive shocks. Our methodology also enables us to distinguish between two sets of theories consistent with the output asymmetries: a convex aggregate supply and a credit view. We find that the effects of money on prices are generally symmetric, which may be consistent with both sets of theories being operative at once.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 31 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Steffen Ahrens & Inske Pirschel & Dennis Snower, 2014.
"A Theory of Price Adjustment under Loss Aversion,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4789, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ahrens, Steffen & Pirschel, Inske & Snower, Dennis J., 2014. "A Theory of Price Adjustment under Loss Aversion," CEPR Discussion Papers 9964, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ahrens, Steffen & Pirschel, Inske & Snower, Dennis J., 2014. "A theory of price adjustment under loss aversion," Economics Working Papers 2014-05, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Ahrens, Steffen & Pirschel, Inske & Snower, Dennis J., 2014. "A Theory of Price Adjustment under Loss Aversion," IZA Discussion Papers 8138, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pirschel, Inske & Ahrens, Steffen & Snower, Dennis, 2013. "A Theory of Price Adjustment under Loss Aversion," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79793, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Steffen Ahrens & Inske Pirschel & Dennis Snower, 2014. "A Theory of Price Adjustment under Loss Aversion," Kiel Working Papers 1915, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Anna Florio, 2005. "Asymmetric monetary policy: empirical evidence for Italy," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(7), pages 751-764.
- Tkacz, Greg, 2001. "Endogenous thresholds and tests for asymmetry in US prime rate movements," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 207-211, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.