Threshold nonlinearities in output: some international evidence
AbstractThe empirical adequacy of linear AR and nonlinear SETAR models of trend-stationary and difference-stationary representations of output for Canada, Germany, Japan, the UK and the US are appraised. Test results suggest the presence of linear model residual structure of some form for all series, and nonlinearities of specifically threshold form in trend-stationary data for Canada, Germany, Japan and the US, and difference-stationary data for Germany, Japan and the US. With the exception of Canada, estimated threshold nonlinear models imply asymmetric dynamics, are able to account for all nonlinear structure in the data on the basis of BDS statistics, and provide sizeable reductions in residual variance in several cases, most notably for Germany.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 30 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paap, Richard & van Dijk, Herman K, 2003.
"Bayes Estimates of Markov Trends in Possibly Cointegrated Series: An Application to U.S. Consumption and Income,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 21(4), pages 547-63, October.
- Paap, R. & Dijk, H.K. van, 2002. "Bayes estimates of Markov trends in possibly cointegrated series: an application to US consumption and income," Econometric Institute Report EI 2002-42, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Econometric Institute.
- Richard Paap & Herman K. van Dijk, 1999. "Bayes Estimates of Markov Trends in Possibly Cointegrated Series: An Application to US Consumption and Income," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 99-024/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Cai, Yuzhi, 2007. "A quantile approach to US GNP," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 969-979, November.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Fernando Arias & Luz Adriana Flórez, .
"Trends, Fluctuations, and Determinants of Commodity Prices,"
Borradores de Economia
521, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Fernando Arias & Luz Adriana Flórez, 2008. "Trends, Fluctuations, and Determinants of Commodity Prices," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 004734, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Luis Arango & Andres Gonzalez, 2001.
"Some evidence of smooth transition nonlinearity in Colombian inflation,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 155-162.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Andrés González, . "Some Evidence of Smooth Transition Nonlinearity in Colombian Inflation," Borradores de Economia 105, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Andrés González, 1998. "Some Evidence Of Smooth Transition Nonlinearity In Colombian Inflation," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003515, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Luis Fernando Melo, .
"Expansions and Contractions in Some Latin American Countries: A view Throught Non-Linear Models,"
Borradores de Economia
186, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Luis Fernando Melo, 2001. "Expansions and Contractions in Some Latin American Countries: A View Throught Non- Linear Models," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002691, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Beatriz C. Galvao, Ana, 2002. "Can non-linear time series models generate US business cycle asymmetric shape?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 187-194, October.
- Almeida, Pedro Cameira de & Fuinhas, José Alberto & Marques, António Cardoso, 2011.
"A assimetria dos ciclos económicos: Evidência internacional usando o teste triples
[The asymmetry of business cycles: International evidence using triples test]," MPRA Paper 35208, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arango, Luis E. & Melo, Luis F., 2006. "Expansions and contractions in Brazil, Colombia and Mexico: A view through nonlinear models," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 501-517, August.
- Hui Feng & Jia Liu, 2003.
"A SETAR model for Canadian GDP: non-linearities and forecast comparisons,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(18), pages 1957-1964.
- Hui Feng & Jia Liu, 2002. "A SETAR Model for Canadian GDP: Non-Linearities and Forecast Comparisons," Econometrics Working Papers 0206, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- De Gooijer, Jan G. & Vidiella-i-Anguera, Antoni, 2004. "Forecasting threshold cointegrated systems," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 237-253.
- Marian Vavra, 2012. "A Note on the Finite Sample Properties of the CLS Method of TAR Models," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 1206, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.