A assimetria dos ciclos económicos: Evidência internacional usando o teste triples
[The asymmetry of business cycles: International evidence using triples test]
AbstractResumo: São testadas duas formas distintas de assimetria cíclica, a deepness e a steepness, através da aplicação do teste do coeficiente de enviesamento e do teste triples. A assimetria é analisada em vinte e três países, segundo uma perspectiva secular do PIB real per capita (1820/70 a 2008). Os resultados dos testes sugerem que a deepness não é relevante a nível internacional. Para a steepness, os testes revelam resultados contraditórios, sendo que o coeficiente de enviesamento evidencia a presença de assimetria em onze dos vinte e três países e o teste triples em seis países. A aplicação do teste do coeficiente de enviesamento e do teste triples permite cotejar os resultados obtidos e aferir da robustez dos resultados. Ao contrário do sugerido na literatura, baseada em dados trimestrais, a nossa investigação não é conclusiva acerca da presença, ao nível internacional, de assimetria nos ciclos económicos.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 35208.
Date of creation: Oct 2011
Date of revision:
Palavras-chave Assimetria; Steepness; Deepness; Ciclos Económicos e PIB real per capita. Keywords Asymmetry; Steepness; Deepness; Business Cycles; and PNB real per capita;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-12-19 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Morley & Jeremy Piger, 2012. "The Asymmetric Business Cycle," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 94(1), pages 208-221, February.
- D. A. Peel & A. E. H. Speight, 1998. "Threshold nonlinearities in output: some international evidence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(3), pages 323-333.
- Arango, Luis E. & Melo, Luis F., 2006. "Expansions and contractions in Brazil, Colombia and Mexico: A view through nonlinear models," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 501-517, August.
- Backus, David K & Kehoe, Patrick J, 1992.
"International Evidence of the Historical Properties of Business Cycles,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 864-88, September.
- David K. Backus & Patrick J. Kehoe, 1991. "International evidence on the historical properties of business cycles," Staff Report 145, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- David K. Backus & Patrick J. Kehoe, 1992. "International Evidence on the Historical Properties of Business Cycles," Working Papers 92-5, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Vladimir K¨uhl Teles & Paulo Springer & Michel Gomes & Nelson Paes & André Cavalcanti, 2005. "Ciclos Econõmicos e Métodos de Filtragem: “Fatos Estilizados” para o Caso Brasileiro," Economia, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics], vol. 6(2), pages 291-328.
- Ramsey, James B & Rothman, Philip, 1996.
"Time Irreversibility and Business Cycle Asymmetry,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Rossana, Robert J & Seater, John J, 1995.
"Temporal Aggregation and Economic Time Series,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(4), pages 441-51, October.
- David G. Mayes & Matti Virén, 2004.
"Asymmetries in the Euro area economy,"
- Boyan Jovanovic, 2004.
NBER Working Papers
10573, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Li, Shuyun May & Dressler, Scott, 2011. "Business cycle asymmetry via occasionally binding international borrowing constraints," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 33-41, March.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Scott, Andrew, 1997.
"Asymmetric business cycles: Theory and time-series evidence,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 501-533, December.
- Scott, A. & Acemoglu, D., 1995. "Asymmetric Business Cycles: Theory and Time-series Evidence," Economics Series Working Papers 99173, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Popp, Stephan, 2009. "Investigating business cycle asymmetry for the G7 countries: Evidence from over a century of data," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 583-591, October.
- W.A. Razzak, 2001.
"Business Cycle Asymmetries: International Evidence,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 4(1), pages 230-243, January.
- Weshah Razzak, 2001. "Triples Asymmetry Test for "Business Cycle Asymmetries: International Evidence"," Computer Codes razzak01, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Falk, Barry, 1986.
"Further Evidence on the Asymmetric Behavior of Economic Time Series over the Business Cycle,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1096-1109, October.
- Falk, Barry L., 1986. "Further Evidence on the Asymmetric Behavior of Economic Time Series over the Business Cycle," Staff General Research Papers 11097, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- René Garcia & Huntley Schaller, 1999.
"Are the Effects of Monetary Policy Asymmetric?,"
Carleton Economic Papers
99-17, Carleton University, Department of Economics.
- Garcia, R. & Schaller, H., 1995. "Are the Effects of Monetary Policy Asymmetric?," Cahiers de recherche 9505, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- René Garcia & Huntley Schaller, 1995. "Are the Effects of Monetary Policy Asymmetric?," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-06, CIRANO.
- Garcia, R. & Schaller, H., 1995. "Are the Effects of Monetary Policy Asymmetric?," Cahiers de recherche 9505, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Martin Chalkley & In Ho Lee, 1998. "Learning and Asymmetric Business Cycles," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 1(3), pages 623-645, July.
- Laura Veldkamp, 2003.
"Learning Asymmetries in Real Business Cycles,"
03-21, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Sichel, D.E., 1988.
"Business Cycle Asymmetry: A Deeper Look,"
85, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center.
- Kontolemis, Zenon G, 1997. "Does Growth Vary over the Business Cycle? Some Evidence from the G7 Countries," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 64(255), pages 441-60, August.
- W A Razzak, 1998. "Business cycle asymmetries and the nominal exchange rate regimes," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series G98/4, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Terry J. Fitzgerald, 1999.
"The Band Pass Filter,"
NBER Working Papers
7257, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Amado Peiro, 2004. "Are business cycles asymmetric? Some European evidence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(4), pages 335-342.
- Victor Zarnowitz & Ataman Ozyildirim, 2002.
"Time Series Decomposition and Measurement of Business Cycles, Trends and Growth Cycles,"
NBER Working Papers
8736, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zarnowitz, Victor & Ozyildirim, Ataman, 2006. "Time series decomposition and measurement of business cycles, trends and growth cycles," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 1717-1739, October.
- Victor Zarnowitz & Ataman Ozyildirim, 2001. "Time Series Decomposition and Measurement of Business Cycles, Trends and Growth Cycles," Economics Program Working Papers 01-03, The Conference Board, Economics Program.
- Wesley Clair Mitchell, 1927. "Introductory pages to "Business Cycles: The Problem and Its Setting"," NBER Chapters, in: Business Cycles: The Problem and Its Setting, pages -23 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harvey, A C & Jaeger, A, 1993. "Detrending, Stylized Facts and the Business Cycle," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(3), pages 231-47, July-Sept.
- José Cancelo & Estefanía Mourelle, 2005. "Modeling Cyclical Asymmetries in GDP: International Evidence," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 33(3), pages 297-309, September.
- Paolo Piselli, 2004. "Business cycle non-linearities and productivity shocks," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 516, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- Wesley Clair Mitchell, 1927. "Business Cycles: The Problem and Its Setting," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number mitc27-1, October.
- Magud, Nicolas E., 2008. "On asymmetric business cycles and the effectiveness of counter-cyclical fiscal policies," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 885-905, September.
- Marianne Sensier, 2003. "Inventories and asymmetric business cycle fluctuations in the UK: a structural approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(4), pages 387-402.
- Belaire-Franch Jorge & Contreras Dulce, 2003. "An Assessment of International Business Cycle Asymmetries using Clements and Krolzig's Parametric Approach," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(4), pages 1-11, March.
- McQueen, Grant & Thorley, Steven, 1993. "Asymmetric business cycle turning points," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 341-362, June.
- Randal Verbrugge Randal Verbrugge, 1997. "Investigating Cyclical Asymmetries," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-10, April.
- Gatti, Domenico Delli & Gallegati, Marco & Gallegati, Mauro, 2005. "On the nature and causes of business fluctuations in Italy, 1861-2000," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 81-100, January.
- Randal J. Verbrugge, 1998. "A cross-country investigation of macroeconomic asymmetries," Macroeconomics 9809017, EconWPA, revised 30 Sep 1998.
- Marco Gallegati & Mauro Gallegati & Wolfgang Polasek, 2004. "Business Cycle Fluctuations in Mediterranean Countries (1960-2000)," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 40(6), pages 28-47, November.
- Kin-Yip Ho & Albert K. Tsui & Zhaoyong Zhang, 2009. "Volatility Dynamics of the UK Business Cycle: a Multivariate Asymmetric Garch Approach," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 117, pages 31-46.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.