Assessing the impact of local taxation on property prices: a spatial matching contribution
AbstractThis article provides empirical evidence on the impact of local taxation on property prices, controlling for the local public spending, using data on property taxation and real estate transactions, over the period 1994--2004. Our empirical methodology pairs transactions in the same spatial environments. Spatial differencing and Instrumental Variables (IV) methodology allow us to compare sales across municipality boundaries and to control for the potential endogeneity of local taxation and public spending. Our results suggest that the local Property Tax (PT) rate has no impact on property prices, while the amount of taxes paid appears to have a negative effect on property price.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 45 (2013)
Issue (Month): 9 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Other versions of this item:
- Charlot, S. & Paty, S. & Visalli, M., 2011. "Assessing the impact of local taxation on property prices: a spatial matching contribution," Working Papers 201106, Grenoble Applied Economics Laboratory (GAEL).
- H30 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - General
- R20 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Gibbons, Steve & Machin, Stephen, 2003. "Valuing English primary schools," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 197-219, March.
- Gilles Duranton & Laurent Gobillon & Henry G Overman, 2006.
"Assessing the effects of local taxation using microgeographic data,"
tecipa-247, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Gilles Duranton & Laurent Gobillon & Henry G. Overman, 2011. "Assessing the Effects of Local Taxation using Microgeographic Data," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(555), pages 1017-1046, 09.
- Gilles Duranton & Laurent Gobillon & Henry G. Overman, 2010. "Assessing the Effects of Local Taxation using Microgeographic Data," Working Papers 2010-47, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Duranton, Gilles & Gobillon, Laurent & Overman, Henry G., 2006. "Assessing the Effects of Local Taxation Using Microgeographic Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 5856, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gilles Duranton & Laurent Gobillon & Henry Overman, 2006. "Assessing the Effects of Local Taxation Using Microgeographic Data," CEP Discussion Papers dp0748, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Sonstelie, Jon C. & Portney, Paul R., 1980. "Gross rents and market values: Testing the implications of Tiebout's hypothesis," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 102-118, January.
- Follain, James Jr. & Malpezzi, Stephen, 1981. "The flight to the suburbs: Insights gained from an analysis of central-city vs suburban housing costs," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 381-398, May.
- King, A Thomas, 1977. "Estimating Property Tax Capitalization: A Critical Comment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(2), pages 425-31, April.
- Yinger, John, 1982. "Capitalization and the Theory of Local Public Finance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(5), pages 917-43, October.
- Sandra E. Black, 1997.
"Do better schools matter? Parental valuation of elementary education,"
9729, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Sandra E. Black, 1999. "Do Better Schools Matter? Parental Valuation Of Elementary Education," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(2), pages 577-599, May.
- Sylvie Charlot & Sonia Paty, 2007. "Market access effect and local tax setting: evidence from French panel data," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(3), pages 247-263, May.
- Stegarescu, Dan, 2004. "Public Sector Decentralization: Measurement Concepts and Recent International Trends," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-74, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Cushing, Brian J., 1984. "Capitalization of interjurisdictional fiscal differentials: An alternative approach," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 317-326, May.
- Gabrielle Fack & Julien Grenet, 2010.
"When do Better Schools Raise Housing Prices? Evidence from Paris Public and Private Schools,"
CEE Discussion Papers
0119, Centre for the Economics of Education, LSE.
- Fack, Gabrielle & Grenet, Julien, 2010. "When do better schools raise housing prices? Evidence from Paris public and private schools," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(1-2), pages 59-77, February.
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416.
- Wales, T J & Wiens, E G, 1974. "Capitalization of Residential Property Taxes: An Empirical Study," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(3), pages 329-33, August.
- Edel, Matthew & Sclar, Elliott, 1974. "Taxes, Spending, and Property Values: Supply Adjustment in a Tiebout-Oates Model," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(5), pages 941-54, Sept./Oct.
- Thomas J. Holmes, 1998. "The Effect of State Policies on the Location of Manufacturing: Evidence from State Borders," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(4), pages 667-705, August.
- Martial Foucault & Thierry Madies & Sonia Paty, 2008. "Public spending interactions and local politics. Empirical evidence from French municipalities," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 137(1), pages 57-80, October.
- Epple, Dennis & Zelenitz, Allan & Visscher, Michael, 1978. "A Search for Testable Implications of the Tiebout Hypothesis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(3), pages 405-25, June.
- Oates, Wallace E, 1973. "The Effects of Property Taxes and Local Public Spending on Property Values: A Reply and Yet Further Results," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(4), pages 1004-08, July-Aug..
- Anwar M. Chaudry-Shah, 1989. "A Capitalization Approach to Fiscal Incidence at the Local Level," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 65(4), pages 359-375.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.