Exact Superreplication Strategies for a Class of Derivative Assets
AbstractA superreplicating hedging strategy is commonly used when delta hedging is infeasible or is too expensive. This article provides an exact analytical solution to the superreplication problem for a class of derivative asset payoffs. The class contains common payoffs that are neither uniformly convex nor concave. A digital option, a bull spread, a bear spread, and some portfolios of bull spreads or bear spreads, are all included as special cases. The problem is approached by first solving for the transition density of a process that has a two-valued volatility. Using this process to model the underlying asset and identifying the two volatility values as σmin and σmax, the value function for any derivative asset in the class is shown to solve the Black-Scholes-Barenblatt equation. The subreplication problem and several related extensions, such as option pricing with transaction costs, calculating superreplicating bounds, and superreplication with multiple risky assets, are also addressed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Mathematical Finance.
Volume (Year): 13 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAMF20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Y. M. Kabanov & M. Safarian, 1995.
"On Leland's Strategy of Option Pricing with Transaction Costs,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1995,65, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Yuri M. Kabanov & (*), Mher M. Safarian, 1997. "On Leland's strategy of option pricing with transactions costs," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 239-250.
- T. J. Lyons, 1995. "Uncertain volatility and the risk-free synthesis of derivatives," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(2), pages 117-133.
- Hull, John C & White, Alan D, 1987. " The Pricing of Options on Assets with Stochastic Volatilities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 281-300, June.
- Avellaneda Marco & ParaS Antonio, 1994. "Dynamic hedging portfolios for derivative securities in the presence of large transaction costs," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 165-194.
- Jouini Elyes & Kallal Hedi, 1995. "Martingales and Arbitrage in Securities Markets with Transaction Costs," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 178-197, June.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- M. Avellaneda & A. Levy & A. ParAS, 1995. "Pricing and hedging derivative securities in markets with uncertain volatilities," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(2), pages 73-88.
- Marco Avellaneda & Antonio ParAS, 1996. "Managing the volatility risk of portfolios of derivative securities: the Lagrangian uncertain volatility model," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 21-52.
- Boyle, Phelim P & Vorst, Ton, 1992. " Option Replication in Discrete Time with Transaction Costs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(1), pages 271-93, March.
- Tiziano Vargiolu & Silvia Romagnoli, 2000. "Robustness of the Black-Scholes approach in the case of options on several assets," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 325-341.
- Leland, Hayne E, 1985.
" Option Pricing and Replication with Transactions Costs,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 40(5), pages 1283-1301, December.
- Hayne E. Leland., 1984. "Option Pricing and Replication with Transactions Costs," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 144, University of California at Berkeley.
- Bergman, Yaacov Z & Grundy, Bruce D & Wiener, Zvi, 1996. " General Properties of Option Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(5), pages 1573-1610, December.
- Edirisinghe, Chanaka & Naik, Vasanttilak & Uppal, Raman, 1993. "Optimal Replication of Options with Transactions Costs and Trading Restrictions," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(01), pages 117-138, March.
- Nicole Branger & Antje Mahayni, 2011. "Tractable hedging with additional hedge instruments," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 85-114, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.