Managing the volatility risk of portfolios of derivative securities: the Lagrangian uncertain volatility model
AbstractWe present an algorithm for hedging option portfolios and custom-tailored derivative securities, which uses options to manage volatility risk. The algorithm uses a volatility band to model heteroskedasticity and a non- linear partial differential equation to evaluate worst-case volatility scenarios for any given forward liability structure. This equation gives sub-additive portfolio prices and hence provides a natural ordering of prefer- ences in terms of hedging with options. The second element of the algorithm consists of a portfolio optim- ization taking into account the prices of options available in the market. Several examples are discussed, including possible applications to market-making in equity and foreign-exchange derivatives.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Mathematical Finance.
Volume (Year): 3 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAMF20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nicole Branger & Antje Mahayni, 2011. "Tractable hedging with additional hedge instruments," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 85-114, April.
- Joel Vanden, 2006. "Exact Superreplication Strategies for a Class of Derivative Assets," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 61-87.
- Marco Avellaneda & Craig Friedman & Richard Holmes & Dominick Samperi, 1997. "Calibrating volatility surfaces via relative-entropy minimization," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(1), pages 37-64.
- Jesús P. Colino & Francisco J. Nogales & Winfried Stute, 2008. "LIBOR additive model calibration to swaptions markets," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws085619, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Roy Kouwenberg & Jacek Gondzio & Ton Vorst, 1999.
"Hedging Options under Transaction Costs and Stochastic Volatility,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 1999
911, Society for Computational Economics.
- Gondzio, Jacek & Kouwenberg, Roy & Vorst, Ton, 2003. "Hedging options under transaction costs and stochastic volatility," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1045-1068, April.
- Marco Avellaneda & Robert Buff, 1999. "Combinatorial implications of nonlinear uncertain volatility models: the case of barrier options," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 1-18.
- Umberto Cherubini, 1997. "Fuzzy measures and asset prices: accounting for information ambiguity," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 135-149.
- Umberto Cherubini & Giovanni Della Lunga, 2001. "Liquidity and credit risk," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 79-95.
- Rama Cont, 2006. "Model uncertainty and its impact on the pricing of derivative instruments," Post-Print halshs-00002695, HAL.
- Ali Bora Yigibasioglu & Carol Alexandra, 2004. "An Uncertain Volatility Explanation for Delayed Calls of Convertible Bonds," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2004-07, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Jocelyne Bion-Nadal, 2007. "Bid-Ask Dynamic Pricing in Financial Markets with Transaction Costs and Liquidity Risk," Papers math/0703074, arXiv.org.
- Thomas Breuer & Imre Csiszar, 2013. "Measuring Model Risk," Papers 1301.4832, arXiv.org.
- Breuer, Thomas & Csiszár, Imre, 2013. "Systematic stress tests with entropic plausibility constraints," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1552-1559.
- Muzzioli, Silvia & Torricelli, Costanza, 2004. "A multiperiod binomial model for pricing options in a vague world," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 861-887, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.