Do farmland prices reflect rationally expected future rents?
AbstractIn recent years the Present Value (PV) model has been used extensively to interpret the behaviour of farmland prices. In this paper the rational expectations version of the PV-model used by Tegene and Kuchler (1993) to test for bubbles is examined using long time-series data for land prices and rents in three US agricultural regions. The tests are based on a VAR methodology that takes into account that land prices and rents are integrated of order one and cointegrated. The results indicate that the underlying equilibrium model used by Tegene and Kuchler to reject bubbles is seriously at odds with the data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 5 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maurice J. Roche & Kieran McQuinn, 2000. "Speculation in agricultural land," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n1010700, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Onel, Gulcan, 2009. "Modeling Nonlinearities in Farmland Values: A Dynamic Panel Threshold Error-Correction Model," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49445, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Woltjer, Geert B. & Luijt, Jan L. & Jongeneel, Roelof A., 2008. "A Land Market Cycle in the Netherlands," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44376, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Engsted, Tom, 2002. " Measures of Fit for Rational Expectations Models," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 301-55, July.
- Thibodeau, David R. & Clark, J. Stephen, 2009. "Government support, transfer efficiency, and moral hazard within heterogeneous regions in Canadian Agriculture," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51806, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.