Immigrant quality and assimilation: A review of the US literature
AbstractEmpirical research on US immigrants is reviewed: their productivity and assimilation; their contribution and use of public services; and their impact on native Americans. I discuss the characteristics of cohorts of immigrants that enter the United States at different times, and then quantify the assimilation of immigrants, typically in terms of economic productivity of immigrants compared with natives. Few have found quantifiable negative effects of immigrants on native wages or unemployment in local labor markets, but a more general equilibrium approach than has been empirically implemented may be needed to draw any conclusions regarding the distributional consequences of immigration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Population Economics.
Volume (Year): 11 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Note: Received: 22 September 1995 / Accepted: 2 March 1997
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00148/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Charles Bellemare, 2004.
"A Life-Cycle Model of Outmigration and Economic Assimilation of Immigrants in Germany,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Bellemare, Charles, 2007. "A life-cycle model of outmigration and economic assimilation of immigrants in Germany," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 553-576, April.
- Bellemare, C., 2004. "A Life-Cycle Model of Outmigration and Economic Assimilation of Immigrants in Germany," Discussion Paper 2004-29, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bellemare, Charles, 2004. "A Life-Cycle Model of Outmigration and Economic Assimilation of Immigrants in Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 1012, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Delaney, Liam & Fernihough, Alan & Smith, James P., 2011.
"Exporting Poor Health: The Irish in England,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5852, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hendrik P. van Dalen, 2007. "Global Aging and Economic Convergence: A Real Option or Still a Case of Science Fiction?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 07-051/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Neymotin, Florence, 2009. "Immigration and its effect on the college-going outcomes of natives," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 538-550, October.
- Bellemare, Charles, 2004.
"Identification and Estimation of Economic Models of Outmigration Using Panel Attrition,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1065, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bellemare, C., 2004. "Identification and Estimation of Economic Models of Outmigration using Panel Attrition," Discussion Paper 2004-28, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Dalen, H.P. van & Henkens, K., 2008. "Emigration Intentions: Mere Words or True Plans? Explaining International Migration Intentions and Behavior," Discussion Paper 2008-60, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Zorlu, Aslan, 2001. "Ethnic minorities in the UK: burden or benefit?," ISER Working Paper Series 2001-14, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2007051 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.