Market dynamics, dynamic resource management and environmental policy in the context of (strong) sustainability
AbstractIn this paper, we investigate the relationship between market dynamics, dynamic resource management and environmental policy. In contrast to static market entry games, this paper draws attention to the effects of market dynamics on resource dynamics et vice versa, because (1) we show that feedback processes are necessary for obtaining a better understanding of what drives the dynamics between the evolution of common-pool resources and the number of harvesters and more importantly, (2) this analysis provides an environment discussing sustainability in an appropriate inasmuch dynamic way. The paper makes the following points: based on a co-evolutionary model, which incorporates resource and market dynamics simultaneously, it is shown that an increasing number of harvesters does not necessarily imply a lower stock of the common-pool resource in the long run. Further it is shown that a tax-scheme establish an output-sharing solution for coping with the overuse of common-pool resources. This results is in contrast to the prevailing literature, which mainly discusses tax-schemes and out-sharing as substitutes rather than as complements for solving the commons-problem. This conclusion holds even if we additionally assume harvesting-cost-reducing technological progress. On the other side if policy interventions ceased, strong resource sustainability in the sense of resource conservation is not possible, given technological progress is a relevant issue. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2013
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Evolutionary Economics.
Volume (Year): 23 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00191/index.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B52 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Current Heterodox Approaches - - - Institutional; Evolutionary
- Q22 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Fishery
- Q28 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Government Policy
- Q57 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Ecological Economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lopez, Ramon, 1998. "The Tragedy of the Commons in Cote d'Ivoire Agriculture: Empirical Evidence and Implications for Evaluating Trade Policies," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 12(1), pages 105-31, January.
- Jean-Philippe Atzenhoffer, 2010. "A Note on Imitation-Based Competition in Common-Pool Resources," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 47(2), pages 299-304, October.
- Baumgärtner, Stefan & Quaas, Martin, 2010.
"What is sustainability economics?,"
Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 445-450, January.
- De Groot, Rudolf & Van der Perk, Johan & Chiesura, Anna & van Vliet, Arnold, 2003. "Importance and threat as determining factors for criticality of natural capital," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2-3), pages 187-204, March.
- Heintzelman, Martin D. & Salant, Stephen W. & Schott, Stephan, 2009.
"Putting free-riding to work: A Partnership Solution to the common-property problem,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 309-320, May.
- Heintzelman, Martin & Salant, Stephen W. & Schott, Stephan, 2008. "Putting Free-Riding to Work: A Partnership Solution to the Common-Property Problem," MPRA Paper 9804, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joelle Noailly & Jeroen van den Bergh & Cees Withagen, 2001.
"Evolution of Harvesting Strategies: Replicator and Resource Dynamics,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
01-056/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Joïlle Noailly & Jeroen C.J.M. van den Bergh & Cees A. Withagen, 2003. "Evolution of harvesting strategies: replicator and resource dynamics," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 183-200, 04.
- Joelle Noailly, Jeroen van den Bergh, Cees Withagen, 2001. "Evolution of Harvesting Strategies: Replicator and Resource Dynamics," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 263, Society for Computational Economics.
- Mariana Mazzucato, 1997.
"A Computational Model of Economies of Scale and Market Share Instability,"
Research in Economics
97-06-054e, Santa Fe Institute.
- Mazzucato, Mariana, 1998. "A computational model of economies of scale and market share instability," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 55-83, March.
- Jeroen Bergh, 2007.
"Evolutionary thinking in environmental economics,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 17(5), pages 521-549, October.
- Sandal, Leif K. & Steinshamn, Stein I., 2004. "Dynamic Cournot-competitive harvesting of a common pool resource," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 1781-1799, July.
- Illge, Lydia & Schwarze, Reimund, 2009. "A matter of opinion--How ecological and neoclassical environmental economists and think about sustainability and economics," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 594-604, January.
- Ruseski, Gorazd, 1998. "International Fish Wars: The Strategic Roles for Fleet Licensing and Effort Subsidies," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 70-88, July.
- Lucas Bretschger & Sjak Smulders, 2007. "Sustainable Resource Use and Economic Dynamics," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 36(1), pages 1-13, January.
- Walker, James M. & Gardner, Roy & Ostrom, Elinor, 1990. "Rent dissipation in a limited-access common-pool resource: Experimental evidence," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 203-211, November.
- Walker, James M & Gardner, Roy, 1992. "Probabilistic Destruction of Common-Pool Resources: Experimental Evidence," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(414), pages 1149-61, September.
- H. Scott Gordon, 1954. "The Economic Theory of a Common-Property Resource: The Fishery," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62, pages 124.
- Bulte, E.H. & Damania, R., 2005.
"A note on trade liberalization and common pool resources,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-165070, Tilburg University.
- Erwin Bulte & Richard Damania, 2005. "A note on trade liberalization and common pool resources," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(3), pages 883-899, August.
- Regev, U. & Gutierrez, A. P. & Schreiber, S. J. & Zilberman, D., 1998. "Biological and economic foundations of renewable resource exploitation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 227-242, September.
- Howarth, Richard B., 2007. "Towards an operational sustainability criterion," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(4), pages 656-663, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.