A Computational Model of Economies of Scale and Market Share Instability
AbstractReplicator dynamics and computer simulation techniques are used to construct a reduced form model which explores negative and positive feedback processes between firm costs and market shares embodied in the dynamics of (dis)economies of scale. After reproducing the standard equilibrium results for decreasing returns to scale (unique equilibrium) and increasing returns to scale (multiple equilibrium) a more dynamic formulation of returns to scale is introduced where scale affects not the direction of costs but the rate of cost reduction. Here we find that negative feedback does not produce self-correcting stabilizing forces in market shares but rather instability and turbulence. Life-cycle phenomena are explored by combining positive and negative feedback in a firm's cost function. The alternating periods of market share stability and instability which emerge from the simulations are compared to empirical regularities in market share patterns.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Santa Fe Institute in its series Research in Economics with number 97-06-054e.
Date of creation: Jun 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1399 Hyde Park Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87501
Web page: http://www.santafe.edu/sfi/publications/working-papers.html
More information through EDIRC
market share; innovation; replicator equations; simulation; industry life-cycle;
Other versions of this item:
- Mazzucato, Mariana, 1998. "A computational model of economies of scale and market share instability," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 55-83, March.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jovanovic, B. & MacDonald, G.M., 1991.
Papers, Rochester, Business - Financial Research and Policy Studies
92-08, Rochester, Business - Financial Research and Policy Studies.
- Jovanovic, Boyan & MacDonald, Glenn M, 1994. "Competitive Diffusion," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(1), pages 24-52, February.
- Jovanovic, B. & Macdonald, G.M., 1988. "Competitive Diffusion," RCER Working Papers 160, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Jovanovic, Boyan & MacDonald, Glenn M., 1988. "Competitive Diffusion," Working Papers, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University 88-29, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Boyan Jovanovic & Glenn MacDonald, 1993. "Competitive Diffusion," NBER Working Papers 4463, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Macdonald, G.M., 1988. "Competitive Diffusion," University of Chicago - Economics Research Center, Chicago - Economics Research Center 88-10, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- Malerba, Franco & Orsenigo, Luigi, 1996. "The Dynamics and Evolution of Industries," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(1), pages 51-87.
- Mariana Mazzucato & Willi Semmler, 1999. "Market share instability and stock price volatility during the industry life-cycle: the US automobile industry," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 67-96.
- David, Paul A, 1985. "Clio and the Economics of QWERTY," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 75(2), pages 332-37, May.
- Geroski, Paul A & Machin, Stephen & Walters, Christopher F, 1997. "Corporate Growth and Profitability," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 171-89, June.
- Krugman, Paul R., 1979. "Increasing returns, monopolistic competition, and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 469-479, November.
- Geroski, P A, 1990. "Innovation, Technological Opportunity, and Market Structure," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(3), pages 586-602, July.
- Kamien, Morton I & Schwartz, Nancy L, 1975. "Market Structure and Innovation: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 13(1), pages 1-37, March.
- Lunn, John E, 1986. "An Empirical Analysis of Process and Product Patenting: A Simultaneous Equation Framework," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3), pages 319-30, March.
- Pavitt, Keith, 1984. "Sectoral patterns of technical change: Towards a taxonomy and a theory," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 343-373, December.
- Metcalfe, J S, 1994. "Competition, Fisher's Principle and Increasing Returns in the Selection Process," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 327-46, November.
- Rothblum, Uriel G. & Winter, Sidney G., 1985. "Asymptotic behavior of market shares for a stochastic growth model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 352-366, August.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1987. "Innovation, Market Structure, and Firm Size," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(4), pages 567-74, November.
- Jacquemin, Alexis P & Berry, Charles H, 1979. "Entropy Measure of Diversification and Corporate Growth," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(4), pages 359-69, June.
- Anita Wölfl, 2000. "Spillover Effects and R&D-Cooperations - The Influence of Market Structure," IWH Discussion Papers, Halle Institute for Economic Research 122, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Uwe Cantner & Jens J. Krüger & Rene Söllner, 2010.
"Product Quality, Product Price, and Share Dynamics in the German Compact Car Market,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2010-024, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Uwe Cantner & Jens J. Krüger & René Söllner, 2012. "Product quality, product price, and share dynamics in the German compact car market," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(5), pages 1085-1115, October.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi & Paola Giuri, 1999. "Increasing returns and network structure in the evolutionary dynamics of industries," LEM Papers Series, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy 1999/12, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Torben Klarl, 2013. "Market dynamics, dynamic resource management and environmental policy in the context of (strong) sustainability," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 861-888, September.
- Rotheli, Tobias F., 2008. "Estimation of evolutionary models as a tool for research in industrial organization," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 138-148, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.