Time-inconsistent preferences in a general equilibrium model
AbstractThis paper introduces time-inconsistent preferences in a multi-commodity general equilibrium framework with incomplete markets. The standard concept of competitive equilibrium is extended in order to allow for changes in intertemporal preferences. Depending on whether or not agents recognize that their intertemporal preferences change, agents are called sophisticated or naÃ¯ve. This paper presents competitive equilibrium notions for economies with naÃ¯ve agents and economies with sophisticated agents and provides assumptions under which both types of equilibria exist. Surprisingly, the set of naÃ¯ve equilibria of societies populated by time-consistent households is not allocationally equivalent to the set of competitive equilibria. For sophisticated equilibria, the equivalence holds. Time-inconsistency also raises conceptual issues about the appropriate concept of efficiency. Choices have to be made concerning the incorporation of future preferences and the appropriate instruments to create Pareto improvements. For both naÃ¯ve and sophisticated societies, we present four possible efficiency concepts. Suitable conditions are specified for which both naÃ¯ve and sophisticated equilibria satisfy appropriate efficiency concepts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 29 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Other versions of this item:
- Herings, P. Jean-Jacques & Rohde, Kirsten I.M., 2006. "Time-inconsistent preferences in a general equilibrium model," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-12157, Maastricht University.
- Herings,Jean-Jacques & Rohde,Kirsten I.M., 2004. "Time-inconsistent Preferences in a General Equilibrium Model," Research Memoranda 016, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
- D91 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice and Growth - - - Intertemporal Consumer Choice; Life Cycle Models and Saving
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luttmer, Erzo G.J. & Mariotti, Thomas, 2003.
"Subjective Discounting in an Exchange Economy,"
Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole
http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- Hoch, Stephen J & Loewenstein, George F, 1991. " Time-Inconsistent Preferences and Consumer Self-Control," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(4), pages 492-507, March.
- Dutta, Jayasri & Morris, Stephen, 1997.
"The Revelation of Information and Self-Fulfilling Beliefs,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 231-244, March.
- Jayasri Dutta & Stephen Morris, . "The Revelation of Information and Self-Fulfilling Beliefs," Penn CARESS Working Papers 269cceedcbd401a5e46548b88, Penn Economics Department.
- Jayasri Dutta & Stephen Morris, . ""The Revelation of Information and Self-Fulfilling Beliefs''," CARESS Working Papres 95-03, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- DUTTA, Jayasri & MORRIS, Stephen, 1995. "The Revelation of Information and Self-Fulfilling Beliefs," CORE Discussion Papers 1995076, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Atsushi Kajii & Antonio Villanacci & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Constrained suboptimality in incomplete markets: a general approach and two applications," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 495-521.
- Loewenstein, George & Prelec, Drazen, 1992. "Anomalies in Intertemporal Choice: Evidence and an Interpretation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 573-97, May.
- Laibson, David, 1997.
"Golden Eggs and Hyperbolic Discounting,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 112(2), pages 443-77, May.
- Arno Riedl, 2009. "Behavioral and Experimental Economics Can Inform Public Policy: Some Thoughts," CESifo Working Paper Series 2902, CESifo Group Munich.
- Herings,P. Jean-Jacques & Rohde,Kirsten I.M., 2004.
"On the Completeness of Complete Markets,"
053, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Herings, P. Jean-Jacques & Rohde, Kirsten I.M., 2008. "On the completeness of complete markets," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-22847, Maastricht University.
- HERINGS, P. Jean-Jacques & ROHDE, Kirsten I.M., . "On the completeness of complete markets," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2153, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Laibson, David I., 1997.
"Golden Eggs and Hyperbolic Discounting,"
4481499, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Tommaso Gabrieli & Sayantan Ghosal, 2013.
"Non-existence of competitive equilibria with dynamically inconsistent preferences,"
Springer, vol. 52(1), pages 299-313, January.
- Gabrieli, Tommaso & Ghosal, Sayantan, 2009. "Non-Existence of Competitive Equilibria with Dynamically Inconsistent Preferences," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 900, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Rohde,Kirsten I.M., 2005. "A Reason for Sophisticated Investors not to seize Arbitrage Opportunities in Markets without Frictions," Research Memoranda 053, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Gerber, Anke & Rohde, Kirsten I.M., 2010. "Risk and preference reversals in intertemporal choice," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 654-668, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.