State Lottery Revenue: The Importance of Game Characteristics
AbstractPrevious studies have found that lottery ticket sales are influenced by certain socioeconomic characteristics of the population. The authors extend the state lottery literature by examining how lottery game characteristics, such as the overall expected value, the top prize, and the total number of combinations, influence ticket sales after controlling for socioeconomic variables. They perform an empirical analysis on a unique set of data that include information for 135 online lottery games in the United States. The results show that ticket sales are significantly influenced by the size of the top prize and the odds of winning it, but ticket sales are not significantly affected by the expected value of the lower prizes. The out-of-sample predictive power of the model is then tested using a real-world example of changes to the prize and odds structure of PowerBall.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by in its journal Public Finance Review.
Volume (Year): 32 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Thomas A. Garrett & Russell S. Sobel, 2002. "State lottery revenue: the importance of game characteristics," Working Papers 2002-011, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marilyn Young & Michael Reksulak & William F. Shughart, 2001. "The Political Economy of the IRS," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(2), pages 201-220, 07.
- Raviv, Yaron & Virag, Gabor, 2009. "Gambling by auctions," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 369-378, May.
- Kent Grote & Victor Matheson, 2011. "The Economics of Lotteries: An Annotated Bibliography," Working Papers 1110, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- S. Capacci & E. Randon & A. E. Scorcu, 2014. "Luck vs Skill in Gambling over the Recession. Evidence from Italy," Working Papers wp918, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Victor Matheson & Kent Grote, 2009. "Spreading the Fortune: The Distribution of Lottery Prizes across Countries," Working Papers 0904, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- Addison, Tony & Chowdhury, Abdur R., 2003. "A Global Lottery and a Global Premium Bond," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.