ANALYZING THE CONNEXIONS BETWEEN ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND ENVIRONMENTAL COMPLIANCe: AN INTEGRATED APPROACH
AbstractThe paper presents, in an integrated approach, the relationship between the levels of economic development and environmental compliance within a country, using the connexions between the Kuznets curve and the aggregate pollution abatement curve. In certain circumstances, we can assume that there is a breakeven point on the Kuznets curve corresponding to the optimal level of pollution abatement costs. Therefore, we present each component of environmental costs, as well as a set of strategic options for flattening the Kuznets curve, in order to ensure the harmonization between the economic interests and the environmental liabilities of a country, when developing an economic growth strategy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Research Centre in Public Administration and Public Services, Bucharest, Romania in its journal Management Research and Practice..
Volume (Year): 3 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
economic development; environmental compliance; Kuznets curve; pollution abatement cost; pollution control.;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stern, David I., 2004.
"The Rise and Fall of the Environmental Kuznets Curve,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1419-1439, August.
- David I. Stern, 2003. "The Rise and Fall of the Environmental Kuznets Curve," Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics 0302, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Kelly, David L., 2003. "On environmental Kuznets curves arising from stock externalities," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 1367-1390, June.
- BRECHET, Thierry & JOUVET, Pierre-André, 2006. "Environmental innovation and the cost of pollution abatement," CORE Discussion Papers 2006040, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gawande, Kishore & Bohara, Alok K. & Berrens, Robert P. & Wang, Pingo, 2000. "Internal migration and the environmental Kuznets curve for US hazardous waste sites," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 151-166, April.
- Heerink, Nico & Mulatu, Abay & Bulte, Erwin, 2001. "Income inequality and the environment: aggregation bias in environmental Kuznets curves," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 359-367, September.
- Kearsley, Aaron & Riddel, Mary, 2010. "A further inquiry into the Pollution Haven Hypothesis and the Environmental Kuznets Curve," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(4), pages 905-919, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Colesca Sofia) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Colesca Sofia to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.