The Costs of Price Regulation: Lessons from Railroad Deregulation
AbstractPrevious calculations of the costs of railroad rate regulation assumed that deregulation would lower railroad rate levels and allow railroads to capture significant amounts of traffic from other modes of transportation. This article presents empirical results that show that neither of these effects materialized under deregulation. A calculation based on actual price and market share changes places the annual cost of regulation at roughly $90 million, well below previous estimates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 18 (1987)
Issue (Month): 3 (Autumn)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Patrick Warren & Tom Wilkening, 2010. "Regulatory Fog: The Informational Origins of Regulatory Persistence," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series, The University of Melbourne 1113, The University of Melbourne.
- Behrens, Kristian & Gaigné, Carl & Thisse, Jacques-François, 2007.
"Is the Regulation of the Transport Sector Always Detrimental to Consumers?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
6185, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Behrens, Kristian & Carl Gaigne & Jacques-Francois Thisse, 2006. "Is the regulation of the transport sector always detrimental to consumers?," CIRJE F-Series, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo CIRJE-F-455, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Ovtchinnikov, Alexei V., 2013. "Merger waves following industry deregulation," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 51-76.
- Kristian Behrens & Carl GaignÃ© & Jacques-FranÃ§ois Thisse, 2009. "Industry location and welfare when transport costs are endogenous," Working Papers, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France 32349, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.