Stress-Testing Banks’ Profitability: The Case of French Banks
AbstractWe propose a stress-testing framework to evaluate the sensitivity of banks’ profitability to plausible but severe adverse macroeconomic shocks. Specifically, we test the resilience of French banks’ profitability over the period 1993–2009. First, we identify the macroeconomic and financial variables (GDP growth, interest rate maturity spread, stock market’s volatility) and bank-specific variables (size, capital ratio, ratio of noninterest income to assets) that significantly determine banks’ profitability. Second, we propose macroeconomic stress-testing exercises showing that French banks’ profitability is resilient to major adverse macroeconomic scenarios. Specifically, our findings highlight that even severe recessions would leave the French banking system profitable.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by EY Global FS Institute in its journal Journal of Financial Perspectives.
Volume (Year): 1 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1 More London Place, London SE1 2AF, UK
Phone: +44 20 7951 2000
Web page: http://www.gfsi.ey.com/
bank profitability; dynamic panel estimation; stress test;
Other versions of this item:
- Coffinet, J. & Lin, S., 2010. "Stress testing banks' profitability: the case of French banks," Working papers 306, Banque de France.
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carbo Valverde, Santiago & Rodriguez Fernandez, Francisco, 2007. "The determinants of bank margins in European banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2043-2063, July.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 2000. "Financial structure and bank profitability," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2430, The World Bank.
- Vazquez, Francisco & Tabak, Benjamin M. & Souto, Marcos, 2012.
"A macro stress test model of credit risk for the Brazilian banking sector,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 69-83.
- Francisco Vazquez & Benjamin M. Tabak & Marcos Souto, 2010. "A Macro Stress Test Model of Credit Risk for the Brazilian Banking Sector," Working Papers Series 226, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Shahin Shojai).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.