Decision to make a HOA: Empirical evidence
AbstractThe data of 82 homeowners associations (HOAs) in Moscow and Perm regions that underpin HOA formation are studied. Physical conditions of the housing stock, size of the buildings and socio-economic parameters of homeowners’ community are revealed; ability of tenants to resolve the collective action problem in operating housing infrastructure is shown to be of primary importance. Thus HOA formation by homeowners is a signal of their ability to manage a house. Wealth and education also matter for the decision to make a HOA.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS" in its journal Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 24 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://appliedeconometrics.cemi.rssi.ru/
homeowners associations; social capital; collective action problem; housing and communal services reform;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C35 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- D71 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Social Choice; Clubs; Committees; Associations
- P29 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Other
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- L. Polishchuk & E. Borisova & A. Peresetsky., 2010. "Managing Common Property in Russian Cities: An Economic Analysis of Homeowners Associations," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 11.
- John F. Helliwell & Robert D. Putnam, 2007.
"Education and Social Capital,"
Eastern Economic Journal,
Eastern Economic Association, vol. 33(1), pages 1-19, Winter.
- Spence, A Michael, 1973. "Job Market Signaling," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 87(3), pages 355-74, August.
- Orana Bandiera & Iwan Barankay & Imran Rasul, 2005.
"Cooperation in collective action,"
Natural Field Experiments
00211, The Field Experiments Website.
- Araral Jr., Eduardo, 2009. "What Explains Collective Action in the Commons? Theory and Evidence from the Philippines," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 687-697, March.
- Borisova, Ekaterina I. & Peresetsky, Anatoly & Polishchuk, Leonid, 2010. "Stochastic frontier in non-profit associations’ performance assessment (the case of homeowners’ associations)," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 20(4), pages 75-101.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anatoly Peresetsky).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.