Total factor productivity change of Swiss dairy farms in the mountain region in the period 1999 to 2008
AbstractIn the present contribution we assess the total factor productivity (TFP) change in the period 1999- 2008 of Swiss dairy farms located in the mountain region using the Malmquist productivity index. We furthermore analyze the robustness of the results of this assessment to the effect of the type of panel used and to different modeling options regarding the inclusion of the ecological and ethological direct payments in the output set. The yearly TFP growth is shown to vary between +1.3% and +3.0% depending on the panel type and modelling option chosen. The results of our work suggest that the TFP growth rate of Swiss dairy farms in the mountain region is not lower than the levels observed in the dairy sector of other European countries. More generally, our investigation shows how sensitive the results of TFP change assessments are to data-related methodological choices and thus highlights the necessity of considering this issue when performing such assessments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INRA Department of Economics in its journal Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies.
Volume (Year): 93 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Swiss dairy farming; mountain agriculture; Total Factor Productivity growth; Malmquist index; sensitivity analysis; agri-environmental direct payments;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tim J. Coelli & D.S. Prasada Rao, 2003.
"Total Factor Productivity Growth in Agriculture: A Malmquist Index Analysis of 93 Countries,1980-2000,"
CEPA Working Papers Series
WP022003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Tim J. Coelli & D. S. Prasada Rao, 2005. "Total factor productivity growth in agriculture: a Malmquist index analysis of 93 countries, 1980-2000," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 32(s1), pages 115-134, 01.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Oral, Muhittin & Cinar, Unver & Chabchoub, Habib, 1999. "Linking industrial competitiveness and productivity at the firm level," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 118(2), pages 271-277, October.
- Kirner, Leopold & Gazzarin, Christian, 2007. "KÃ¼nftige WettbewerbsfÃ¤higkeit der Milchproduktion im Berggebiet Ã–sterreichs und der Schweiz," Journal of International Agricultural Trade and Development, Journal of International Agricultural Trade and Development, vol. 56(4).
- Christos Pantzios & Vangelis Tzouvelekas & Giannis Karagiannis, 2005.
"Parametric Decomposition of the Input-Oriented Malmquist Productivity Index: With an Application to Greek Aquaculture,"
0518, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Christos Pantzios & Giannis Karagiannis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2011. "Parametric decomposition of the input-oriented Malmquist productivity index: with an application to Greek aquaculture," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 21-31, August.
- Bjurek, Hans, 1996. " The Malmquist Total Factor Productivity Index," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 98(2), pages 303-13, June.
- Carol Newman & Alan Matthews, 2006. "The productivity performance of Irish dairy farms 1984–2000: a multiple output distance function approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 191-205, October.
- Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Jean-Christophe Poutineau, 2003. "Luenberger and Malmquist Productivity Indices: Theoretical Comparisons and Empirical Illustration," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(4), pages 391-405, October.
- Carroll, J. & Greene, S. & O'Donoghue, Cathal & Newman, Carol F. & Thorne, Fiona S., 2009. "Productivity and the Determinants of Efficiency in Irish Agriculture (1996-2006)," 83rd Annual Conference, March 30-April 1, 2009, Dublin, Ireland 50941, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Kantelhardt, Jochen & Kapfer, Martin & Franzel, Martin & Kirchweger, Stefan, 2013. "Development of Efficiency in Alpine Farming - A Combination of the Malmquist Index Approach and Matching–," 53rd Annual Conference, Berlin, Germany, September 25-27, 2013 156136, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne Chauvel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.