Biased Technical Change and the Malmquist Productivity Index
AbstractThe Malmquist productivity index has many attractive features. One is that it decomposes into a technical efficiency change index and a technical change index. Under constant returns to scale, its technical efficiency change index has been decomposed into a "pure" technical efficiency change index, a scale efficiency change index, and a congestion change index. Here we maintain the same assumption, and we decompose its technical change index into a magnitude index and a bias index. We then decompose the bias index into an output bias index and an input bias index, and we state conditions under which either bias index makes no contribution to productivity change.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Microeconomics with number 9508002.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 19 Aug 1995
Date of revision: 22 Aug 1995
Note: Type of Document - Word for Windows (v.6?); prepared on IBM compatible; to print on HP LaserJet; pages: 20; figures: none. Browse all of our working papers at
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
productivity; technical change; Malmquist index;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balk, Bert M, 1993. "Malmquist Productivity Indexes and Fisher Ideal Indexes: Comment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(418), pages 680-82, May.
- Berg, Sigbjorn Atle & Forsund, Finn R & Jansen, Eilev S, 1992. " Malmquist Indices of Productivity Growth during the Deregulation of Norwegian Banking, 1980-89," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages S211-28, Supplemen.
- Joaquín Maudos Villarroya & José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez & Lorenzo Serrano Martínez, 1998.
"- Human Capital In Oecd Countries: Technical Change, Efficency And Productivity,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
1998-19, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Joaquin Maudos & Jose Manuel Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 2003. "Human capital in OECD countries: Technical change, efficiency and productivity," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 17(4), pages 419-435.
- Shunsuke Managi & David Karemera, 2004. "Input and output biased technological change in US agriculture," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 11(5), pages 283-286.
- Dias, Weeratilake, 1998. "Productivity And Efficiency Of Agricultural And Non Agricultural Banks In The United States: Dea Approach," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20845, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.