Altruism, Paternalism and Transfers
AbstractDiscussions regarding the form that state transfers should take generally focus on the relative efficiency of transfers in kind vis-á-vis transfers in cash. This article, however, proposes a different approach - to determine the optimal structure of a donation, i.e. its optimal composition. Hence, the problem no longer lies in attempting to figure out whether a donation in kind is either more or less efficient than a donation in cash, but rather, to determine, through various hypotheses relative to the agent's behaviour, the most preferable structure for the donor.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Economics, Prague in its journal Prague Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 2009 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Postal: Editorial office Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D64 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Altruism; Philanthropy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Browning, Edgar K, 1981. "A Theory of Paternalistic In-Kind Transfers," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 19(4), pages 579-97, October.
- Harris Milton & Townsend, Robert M, 1981. "Resource Allocation under Asymmetric Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(1), pages 33-64, January.
- Summers, Lawrence H, 1989. "Some Simple Economics of Mandated Benefits," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(2), pages 177-83, May.
- Toumanoff, Peter, 1986. "Exclusion Costs and the In-Kind Transfer," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(3), pages 443-47.
- Daly, George & Giertz, J. Fred, 1976. "Transfers and Pareto optimality," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1-2), pages 179-182.
- Diamond, P. A. & Mirrlees, J. A., 1978.
"A model of social insurance with variable retirement,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 295-336, December.
- P. A. Diamond & J. A. Mirrlees, 1977. "A Model of Social Insurance With Variable Retirement," Working papers 210, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Thurow, Lester C, 1971. "The Income Distribution as a Pure Public Good," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 85(2), pages 327-36, May.
- Neil Bruce & Michael Waldman, 1988.
"Transfers in Kind: Why They Can Be Efficient and Non-Paternalistic,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
532, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Bruce, Neil & Waldman, Michael, 1991. "Transfers in Kind: Why They Can Be Efficient and Nonpaternalistic," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1345-51, December.
- Olsen, Edgar O, 1969. "A Competitive Theory of the Housing Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(4), pages 612-22, Part I Se.
- Garfinkel, Irwin, 1973. "Is In-Kind Redistribution Efficient?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 87(2), pages 320-30, May.
- Olsen, Edgar O, 1971. "Some Theorems in the Theory of Efficient Transfers," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(1), pages 166-76, Jan.-Feb..
- Dye, Ronald A. & Antle, Rick, 1986. "Cost-minimizing welfare programs," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 259-265, July.
- Olsen, Edgar O, 1971. "Subsidized Housing in a Competitive Market: Reply," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 220-24, March.
- Daly, George & Giertz, Fred J, 1972. "Welfare Economics and Welfare Reform," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(1), pages 131-38, March.
- Thurow, Lester C, 1974. "Cash Versus In-Kind Transfers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(2), pages 190-95, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vaclav Subrta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.