Fundamentos Para La Regulacion De La Publicidad Comparativa
AbstractThere is a growing consensus that comparative advertising has the potential to reduce barriers to entry and increase competition. Nevertheless, in actual practice comparative advertising in most countries, and particularly in those which are the least developed, is either very limited or non-existent. This paper describes the strikingly contrasting regulatory approaches to the problem in Europe, Latin America; especially in Chile; and the United States. This has enabled us to analyze the gap that exists in the fundamental principles as set forth by regulatory theory and practice. The paper describes the causes for the paradox existing in the discourse of Chilean jurisprudence, in that it over emphasizes the benefits of comparative advertising and its practice, but limits it. We identify the elements, which, in our opinion, are excessive to limit comparative advertising, and we put forth the arguments in favor of the need to act so as to attenuate the excessive restrictions currently in place.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Escuela de Administracion. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile. in its journal ABANTE.
Volume (Year): 7 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L41 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Monopolization; Horizontal Anticompetitive Practices
- L42 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Vertical Restraints; Resale Price Maintenance; Quantity Discounts
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Souam, Said, 2001.
"Optimal antitrust policy under different regimes of fines,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 1-26, January.
- Saïd Souam, 1997. "Optimal Antitrust Policy Under Different Regimes of Fines," Working Papers 97-37, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Pechmann, Cornelia & Stewart, David W, 1990. " The Effects of Comparative Advertising on Attention, Memory, and Purchase Intentions," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(2), pages 180-91, September.
- Ghosal, Vivek & Gallo, Joseph, 2001. "The cyclical behavior of the Department of Justice's antitrust enforcement activity," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 27-54, January.
- Pechmann, Cornelia & Ratneshwar, S, 1991. " The Use of Comparative Advertising for Brand Positioning: Association versus Differentiation," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(2), pages 145-60, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gimena Pardo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.