Measures of strategic alliance performance: an analysis of construct validity
AbstractThis study evaluates the construct validity of measures of the performance of strategic alliances in 34 equity strategic alliances (SAs) and 45 contractual SAs. We discuss the content validity of existing measures in the light of current concepts of SA performance. Empirical results show that the fulfilment of strategic goals, and other organizational effectiveness measures of SA performance – such as overall performance satisfaction and net spillover effects – capture different underlying factors. The latter two measures display convergent validity. The results also support the discriminant validity of these two measures with respect to contractual changes and survival, but not with respect to longevity. Building on our findings, we propose an expanded definition of SA performance that considers both outcome and process performance. Journal of International Business Studies (2003) 34, 66–79. doi:10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400005
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 34 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kolloge, Konstantin, 2009. "Die Messung des Kooperationserfolges in der empirischen Forschung: Ergebnisse einer Literaturstudie," Arbeitspapiere 76, Westfälsche Wilhelms-Universität Münster (WWU), Institut für Genossenschaftswesen.
- Olk, Paul & Ariño, Africa, 2003. "Testing Assumptions about Evaluating Strategic Alliance Performance," IESE Research Papers D/529, IESE Business School.
- Gomez-Selemeneva, D., 2009.
"Factores Claves para la Sostenibilidad de las Alianzas Inter-organizativas: Un caso de Estrategias de Cooperación
[Key Factors for Sustainability of Inter-organizational Alliances: A Case for Coop," MPRA Paper 31274, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gagalyuk, Taras & Hanf, Jon Henrich, 2010. "Success For The Whole Food Chain: Testing The Model Of Network Success In Ukraine," 50st Annual Conference, Braunschweig, Germany, September 29-October 1, 2010 93944, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Lee Li & Gongming Qian, 2008. "Partnership or self-reliance entry modes: Large and small technology-based enterprises’ strategies in overseas markets," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 188-208, December.
- Jane, Joan & Lago, Alejandro & Ariño, Africa, 2005. "Measuring the performance of international logistics outsourcing partnerships: A dyadic perspective analysis," IESE Research Papers D/608, IESE Business School.
- Lange, Kersten, 2011. "Faktoren der Stabilisierung für Unternehmenskooperationen," Arbeitspapiere 102, Westfälsche Wilhelms-Universität Münster (WWU), Institut für Genossenschaftswesen.
- Yue Wang & Stephen Nicholas, 2007. "The formation and evolution of non-equity strategic alliances in China," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 131-150, June.
- Theurl, Theresia & Kolloge, Konstantin, 2009. "Internationale Unternehmenskooperationen im deutschen Maschinenbau: Eine empirische Analyse," Arbeitspapiere 81, Westfälsche Wilhelms-Universität Münster (WWU), Institut für Genossenschaftswesen.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.