Factores Claves para la Sostenibilidad de las Alianzas Inter-organizativas: Un caso de Estrategias de Cooperación
[Key Factors for Sustainability of Inter-organizational Alliances: A Case for Cooperation Strategies]
AbstractThe denomination of the relations of cooperation between companies as Strategic Alliances is the result of more than 20 years of research on this subject. However in XXI century appear new forms in response and adaptation to a turbulent environment. Therefore, the paper presented deals with the study of alliances from an inter-organizational relationships perspective, organizational networks and Resource-based Theory. The main objective is to deepening in the alliance management process from the beginning: motivation for an cooperative strategy and after governance mechanisms, attitudes and interests of the parties or actors involved and finally the performance expected by the partners. This study was based in the hotel business in a caribbean tourist destination, combining the qualitative methodology of case study with a questionnaire method applied to 31 experts; partners and managers of local and foreign companies that have established alliance portfolios in the period 1990-2008.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 31274.
Date of creation: Oct 2009
Date of revision:
International alliances; cooperative strategies; networks; hotel business; Joint Ventures; Cuba; success factors;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
- D74 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Conflict; Conflict Resolution; Alliances
- L8 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
- Z13 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economic Sociology; Economic Anthropology; Social and Economic Stratification
- D85 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Network Formation
- L24 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Contracting Out; Joint Ventures
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John H Dunning, 1995. "Reappraising the Eclectic Paradigm in an Age of Alliance Capitalism," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(3), pages 461-491, September.
- Jean-François Hennart, 1991.
"The Transaction Costs Theory of Joint Ventures: An Empirical Study of Japanese Subsidiaries in the United States,"
Management Science, INFORMS,
INFORMS, vol. 37(4), pages 483-497, April.
- Hennart, J.-F.M.A., 1991. "The transaction costs theory of joint ventures : an empirical study of Japanese subsidiaries in the United States," Open Access publications from Tilburg University, Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-175820, Tilburg University.
- Sanjeev Agarwal & Sridhar N Ramaswami, 1992. "Choice of Foreign Market Entry Mode: Impact of Ownership, Location and Internationalization Factors," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(1), pages 1-27, March.
- Benjamin Gomes-Casseres, 1990. "Firm Ownership Preferences and Host Government Restrictions: An Integrated Approach," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Chen, Jean Jinghan & Dimou, Irini, 2005. "Expansion strategy of international hotel firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 58(12), pages 1730-1740, December.
- Shih-Fen S Chen & Jean-Francois Hennart, 2002. "Japanese Investors' Choice of Joint Ventures Versus Wholly-owned Subsidiaries in the US: The Role of Market Barriers and Firm Capabilities," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(1), pages 1-18, March.
- Farok J Contractor & Sumit K Kundu, 1998. "Modal Choice in a World of Alliances: Analyzing Organizational Forms in the International Hotel Sector," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(2), pages 325-356, June.
- Keith D. Brouthers & Lance Eliot Brouthers, 2003. "Why Service and Manufacturing Entry Mode Choices Differ: The Influence of Transaction Cost Factors, Risk and Trust," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(5), pages 1179-1204, 07.
- Reuer, Jeffrey J. & Zollo, Maurizio, 2005. "Termination outcomes of research alliances," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 101-115, February.
- Africa Ari�o, 2003. "Measures of strategic alliance performance: an analysis of construct validity," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(1), pages 66-79, January.
- Erin Anderson & Hubert Gatignon, 1986. "Modes of Foreign Entry: A Transaction Cost Analysis and Propositions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(3), pages 1-26, September.
- García-Canal, Esteban & Duarte, Cristina López & Criado, Josep Rialp & Llaneza, Ana Valdés, 2002. "Accelerating international expansion through global alliances: a typology of cooperative strategies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 91-107, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.