Risk Management with Interdependent Choice
AbstractRisks faced by traders from price movements are sometimes magnified by the actions of other traders. Risk-management systems which neglect this feature may give a seriously misleading picture of the true risks. The hazards arising from this potential blindspot are at their most dangerous when the prevailing conventional wisdom lulls traders into a false sense of security on the attractiveness of a trading position. The efforts of one trader to reverse his trade makes more acute the need to follow suit on the part of others. For markets dominated by traders with short time horizons, such interdependence leads to exaggerated price movements. Estimates of "value at risk" which recognize such interdependence of actions can diverge substantially from those given by conventional techniques. Copyright 1999 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Review of Economic Policy.
Volume (Year): 15 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 (Autumn)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://oxrep.oupjournals.org/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morris, Stephen & Shin, Hyun Song, 1997.
"Unique Equilibrium in a Model of Self-fulfilling Currency Attacks,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1687, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Morris, Stephen & Shin, Hyun Song, 1998. "Unique Equilibrium in a Model of Self-Fulfilling Currency Attacks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(3), pages 587-97, June.
- Morris, S & Song Shin, H, 1996. "Unique Equilibrium in a Model of Self-Fulfilling Currency Attacks," Economics Papers 126, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1996. "Foundations of International Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262150476, January.
- Jon Danielsson, 2000.
"The Emperor has no Clothes: Limits to Risk Modelling,"
FMG Special Papers
sp126, Financial Markets Group.
- Danielsson, Jon, 2002. "The emperor has no clothes: Limits to risk modelling," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1273-1296, July.
- Danielsson, Jon & Shin, Hyun Song & Zigrand, Jean-Pierre, 2004. "The impact of risk regulation on price dynamics," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 1069-1087, May.
- Andrew G Haldane & Jorg Scheibe, 2004. "IMF lending and creditor moral hazard," Bank of England working papers 216, Bank of England.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Takalo, Tuomas, 2001.
"Preventing Systemic Crises through Bank Transparency,"
776, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Ari Hyytinen & Tuomas Takalo, 2004. "Preventing Systemic Crises through Bank Transparency," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 33(2), pages 257-273, 07.
- Hyytinen, Ari & Takalo, Tuomas, 2003. "Preventing systemic crises through bank transparency," Research Discussion Papers 25/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Philippe Jorion, 2007.
"Bank Trading Risk and Systemic Risk,"
in: The Risks of Financial Institutions, pages 29-58
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodrigo Cifuentes & Gianluigi Ferrucci & Hyun Song Shin, 2005. "Liquidity risk and contagion," Bank of England working papers 264, Bank of England.
- Michel Aglietta, 2003. "Le risque systémique dans la finance libéralisée," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 70(1), pages 33-50.
- Borio, Claudio & Tsatsaronis, Kostas, 2004. "Accounting and prudential regulation: from uncomfortable bedfellows to perfect partners?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 111-135, September.
- Ulrich Erlenmaier & Hans Gersbach, 2001. "The Funds Concentration Effect and Discriminatory Bailout," CESifo Working Paper Series 591, CESifo Group Munich.
- Cornelis A. Los & Rossitsa M. Yalamova, 2004. "Multi-Fractal Spectral Analysis of the 1987 Stock Market Crash," Finance 0409050, EconWPA.
- Miguel Segoviano, 2006. "Conditional Probabilty of Default Methodolgy," FMG Discussion Papers dp558, Financial Markets Group.
- James O'Brien & Jeremy Berkowitz, 2005. "Estimating Bank Trading Risk: A Factor Model Approach," NBER Working Papers 11608, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christine M. Cumming & Beverly J. Hirtle, 2001.
"The challenges of risk management in diversified financial companies,"
Economic Policy Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Mar, pages 1-17.
- Cumming, Christine & Hirtle, Beverly, 2001. "The challenges of risk management in diversified financial companies," Journal of Financial Transformation, Capco Institute, vol. 3, pages 89-95.
- Roberto Casarin & Flaminio Squazzoni, 2012. "Financial press and stock markets in times of crisis," Working Papers 2012_04, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Piergiorgio Alessandri & Prasanna Gai & Sujit Kapadia & Nada Mora & Claus Puhr, 2009. "Towards a Framework for Quantifying Systemic Stability," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 5(3), pages 47-81, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.