Financialisation and capital accumulation in the non-financial corporate sector:
AbstractI discuss the impact of financialisation on real capital accumulation in the US. Using data from a sample of non-financial corporations from 1973 to 2003, I find a negative relationship between real investment and financialisation. Two channels can help explain this negative relationship: first, increased financial investment and increased financial profit opportunities may have crowded out real investment by changing the incentives of firm managers and directing funds away from real investment. Second, increased payments to the financial markets may have impeded real investment by decreasing available internal funds, shortening the planning horizons of the firm management and increasing uncertainty. Copyright The Author 2008. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Cambridge Political Economy Society. All rights reserved., Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Cambridge Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 32 (2008)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
Other versions of this item:
- Özgür Orhangazi, 2007. "Financialization and Capital Accumulation in the Non-Financial Corporate Sector," Working Papers wp149, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- E2 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment
- D2 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
- G3 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mayer, Colin, 1987.
"New Issues in Corporate Finance,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
181, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ajit Singh, 2002.
"Competition, corporate governance and selection in emerging markets,"
ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers
wp247, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Ajit Singh, 2003. "Competition, corporate governance and selection in emerging markets," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(491), pages F443-F464, November.
- Ndikumana, Leonce, 2005.
"Financial development, financial structure, and domestic investment: International evidence,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 651-673, June.
- Léonce Ndikumana, 2003. "Financial Development, Financial Structure, and Domestic Investment: International Evidence," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2003-01, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Léonce Ndikumana, 2003. "Financial Development, Financial Structure and Domestic Investment: International Evidence," Working Papers wp16, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Engelbert Stockhammer, 2004.
"Financialisation and the slowdown of accumulation,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 28(5), pages 719-741, September.
- Gale, Douglas & Hellwig, Martin, 1985. "Incentive-Compatible Debt Contracts: The One-Period Problem," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(4), pages 647-63, October.
- Chirinko, Robert S. & Fazzari, Steven M. & Meyer, Andrew P., 1999. "How responsive is business capital formation to its user cost?: An exploration with micro data," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 53-80, October.
- Leonce Ndikumana, 1999. "Debt Service, Financing Constraints, and Fixed Investment: Evidence from Panel Data," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 21(3), pages 455-478, April.
- Baker, H. Kent & Powell, Gary E. & Veit, E. Theodore, 2003. "Why companies use open-market repurchases: A managerial perspective," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 483-504.
- Steven M. Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & BRUCE C. PETERSEN, 1988.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(1), pages 141-206.
- James Crotty, 2005. "The Neoliberal Paradox: The Impact of Destructive Product Market Competition and Impatient Finance on Nonfinancial Corporations in the Neoliberal Era," Research Briefs rb2003-5, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Bhaskar, V. & Glyn, A., 1992. "Investment and Profitability: The Evidence from the Advanced Capitalist Countries," Economics Series Working Papers 99144, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Mayer, Colin, 1994. "The Assessment: Money and Banking: Theory and Evidence," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 1-13, Winter.
- J. Nellie Liang & Steven A. Sharpe, 1999. "Share repurchases and employee stock options and their implications for S&P 500 share retirements and expected returns," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1999-59, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Glen, Jack & Lee, Kevin & Singh, Ajit, 2000.
"Competition, corporate governance and financing of corporate growth in emerging markets,"
53625, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Glen, J. & Lee, K. & Singh. A., 2000. "Competition, Corporate Governance and Financing of corporate Growth in Emerging Markets," Accounting and Finance Discussion Papers 00-af46, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Feng, Hengyi & Froud,Julie & Johal, Sukhdev & Haslam, Colin & Williams, Karel, 2001. "A new business model?," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Regulation of Work FS II 01-202, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Gustavo Grullon & Roni Michaely, 2002. "Dividends, Share Repurchases, and the Substitution Hypothesis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(4), pages 1649-1684, 08.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Steven N. Kaplan, 2001. "Corporate Governance and Merger Activity in the U.S.: Making Sense of the 1980s and 1990s," NBER Working Papers 8220, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Townsend, 1979.
"Optimal contracts and competitive markets with costly state verification,"
45, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Townsend, Robert M., 1979. "Optimal contracts and competitive markets with costly state verification," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 265-293, October.
- Robert E. Carpenter & Steven M. Fazzari & Bruce C. Petersen, 1995. "Three Financing Constraint Hypotheses and Inventory Investment: New Tests With Time and Sectoral Heterogeneity," Macroeconomics 9510001, EconWPA, revised 09 Oct 1995.
- James R. Crotty, 1990. "Owner-Manager Conflict and Financial Theories of Investment Instability: A Critical Assessment of Keynes, Tobin, and Minsky," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 12(4), pages 519-542, July.
- James Crotty, 2002. "The Effects of Increased Product Market Competition and Changes in Financial Markets on the Performance of Nonfinancial Corporations in the Neoliberal Era," Working Papers wp44, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Antonio Bianco & Paolo M. Piacentini, 2013. "The sustainability of a creative-finance-led economy," Working papers wpaper07, Financialisation, Economy, Society & Sustainable Development (FESSUD) Project.
- Russo, Alberto, 2012. "Elements of novelty, known mechanisms, and the fundamental causes of the recent crisis," MPRA Paper 41088, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Georgios Argitis & Stella Michopoulou, 2011.
"Are Full Employment and Social Cohesion Possible Under Financialization?,"
Forum for Social Economics,
Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 139-155, July.
- Georgios Argitis & Stella Michopoulou, 2011. "Are Full Employment and Social Cohesion Possible Under Financialization?," Forum for Social Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(2), pages 139-155, January.
- Robert Pollin & James Heintz, 2013. "Study of U.S. Financial System," FESSUD studies fstudy10, Financialisation, Economy, Society & Sustainable Development (FESSUD) Project.
- Eugenio Caverzasi, 2012. "From the Financial Instability Hypothesis to the theory of Capital Market Inflation: a structural interpretation of the sub-prime crisis," DEM Working Papers Series 018, University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Management.
- Eckhard Hein, 2009.
"‘Financialisation’ in a comparative static, stock-flow consistent post-kaleckian distribution and growth model,"
Gobierno Vasco / Eusko Jaurlaritza / Basque Government, vol. 72(03), pages 120-139.
- Eckhard Hein, 2008. "Financialisation in a comparative static, stock-flow consistent Post-Kaleckian distribution and growth model," IMK Working Paper 21-2008, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Marika Karanassou & Hector Sala, 2012.
"Distributional Consequences of Capital Accumulation, Globalisation and Financialisation in the US,"
695, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Karanassou, Marika & Sala, Hector, 2013. "Distributional Consequences of Capital Accumulation, Globalisation and Financialisation in the US," IZA Discussion Papers 7244, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Özgür Orhangazi, 2011. "“Financial” vs. “Real”: An Overview of the Contradictory Role of Finance," Working Papers wp274, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Eckhard Hein, 2009. "A (Post-) Keynesian perspective on "financialisation"," IMK Studies 01-2009, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Christian Schoder, 2012. "Instability, stationary utilization and effective demand: A synthesis of Harrodian and Kaleckian growth theory," IMK Working Paper 104-2012, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Riccetti, Luca & Russo, Alberto & Gallegati, Mauro, 2013. "Financialisation and Crisis in an Agent Based Macroeconomomic Model," MPRA Paper 51074, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eugenio Caverzasi, 2014. "Minsky and the Subprime Mortgage Crisis: The Financial Instability Hypothesis in the Era of Financialization," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_796, Levy Economics Institute.
- Giorgos Argitis & Stella Michopoulou, 2013. "Studies in Financial Systems No 4 Financialization and the Greek Financial System," FESSUD studies fstudy04, Financialisation, Economy, Society & Sustainable Development (FESSUD) Project.
- Leila E. Davis, 2013. "Financialization and the nonfinancial corporation: an investigation of firmlevel investment behavior in the U.S., 1971-2011," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2013-08, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.