Effects of Label Information on Consumer Willingness-to-Pay for Food Attributes
AbstractChoice experiments (CEs) are often used to elicit consumer willingness-to-pay (WTP) for food attributes. A concern about these approaches is that food attributes provided to respondents are assumed independent of attributes not provided. We use surveys containing a series of CEs to investigate effects of adding beef steak attributes. WTP for important attributes in the CEs decrease when the number of attributes increases from three to four, while WTP increases when the number of attributes increases from four to five. Changes in WTP for attributes depend on their relationships with newly added attributes and the number of attributes presented. Copyright 2007, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 91 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Li, Minghao & Wang, Qingbin & Kolodinsky, Jane M., 2012. "Estimating the Optimal Premium Rates for Credential Food Attributes: A Case Study in the Northeast United States," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 43(2), July.
- von Schlippenbach, Vanessa & Teichmann, Isabel, 2012.
"The strategic use of private quality standards in food supply chains,"
DICE Discussion Papers
62, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Vanessa von Schlippenbach & Isabel Teichmann, 2012. "The Strategic Use of Private Quality Standards in Food Supply Chains," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 94(5), pages 1189-1201.
- von Schlippenbach, Vanessa & Teichmann, Isabel, 2011. "The Strategic Use of Private Quality Standards in Food Supply Chains," 51st Annual Conference, Halle, Germany, September 28-30, 2011 114519, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Teichmann, Isabel & von Schlippenbach, Vanessa, 2011. "The Strategic Use of Private Quality Standards in Food Supply Chains," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 116079, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Vanessa von Schlippenbach & Isabel Teichmann, 2011. "The Strategic Use of Private Quality Standards in Food Supply Chains," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1120, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Scozzafava, Gabriele & Casini, Leonardo & Marinelli, Nicola, 2012. "Modern Distribution vs. Specialised Shop: a Study on beef consumer behaviour," 2012 XX Convegno Annuale SIEA, Siracusa 130448, Italian Society of Agri-food Economics/Società Italiana di Economia Agro-Alimentare (SIEA).
- Owusu, Victor & Owusu Anifori, Michael, 2013. "Consumer Willingness to Pay a Premium for Organic Fruit and Vegetable in Ghana," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 16(1).
- Gao, Zhifeng & Yu, Xiaohua & House, Lisa, 2009. "Using Choice Experiment to Estimate Consumer Valuation: the Role of Experiment Design and Attribute Information Loads," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49406, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Kelvin Balcombe & Iain Fraser, 2009. "A General Treatment of Non-Response Data From Choice Experiments Using Logit Models," Studies in Economics 0916, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Tonsor, Glynn T., 2010. "Consumer Food Safety Perceptions: Do they Differ across Products, Species, and Specific Risks?," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61044, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Illichmann, Rebecca & Abdulai, Awudu, 2013.
"Analysis of Consumer Preferences and Willingness-To-Pay for Organic Food Products in Germany,"
53rd Annual Conference, Berlin, Germany, September 25-27, 2013
156100, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Illichmann, Rebecca & Abdulai, Awudu, 2013. "Analysis of Consumer Preferences and Willingness-to-Pay for Organic Food Products in Germany," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150980, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Cash, Sean B. & Slade, Peter & Cranfield, John, 2013. "The Chicken Wears No Skin: Ordering E ects in Elicitation of Willingness to Pay for Multiple Credence Attributes in Ethical and Novel Food Products," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150364, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Taylor, Mykel R. & Tonsor, Glynn T., 2013. "Revealed Demand for Country-of-Origin Labeling of Meat in the United States," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(2), August.
- Wolf, Christopher A. & Tonsor, Glynn T. & Olynk, Nicole J., 2011. "Understanding U.S. Consumer Demand for Milk Production Attributes," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(2), August.
- repec:ags:jrapmc:122305 is not listed on IDEAS
- McKendree, Melissa G.S. & Ortega, David L. & Widmar, Nicole Olynk & Wang, H. Holly, 2013. "Consumer Perceptions of Seafood Industries in the Wake of the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Disaster," Staff Papers 155582, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Peterson, Hikaru Hanawa & Burbidge, Linda D., 2012. "Japanese Consumersâ€™ Valuation of U.S. Beef and Pork Products after the Beef Trade Ban," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(1), April.
- Lim, Kar Ho & Hu, Wuyang & Maynard, Leigh J. & Goddard, Ellen W., 2012. "Stated Preference and Perception Analysis for Traceable and BSE-tested Beef: An Application of Mixed Error-Component Logit Model," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124784, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Owusu, Victor, 2012. "Assessing Consumer Willingness to Pay a Premium for Organic Food Product: Evidence from Ghana," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 123394, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.