Modern Distribution vs. Specialised Shop: a Study on beef consumer behaviour
AbstractThe evolution of consumer profile highlights, for food products and specifically for beef, a growing attention for a number of specific aspects related to food quality, safety, environmental issues and animal welfare. Because of this, it is more and more important to understand the consumer’s choice dynamics in order to develop differentiated marketing, commercial and communication strategies that also refer to different distribution channel. This study was conceived with the aim of analysing the different motives and purchase behaviours of beef consumers in the two main distribution channels: Modern Distribution (MD) and specialised shops (butcher shops). The research is based on an internet administered questionnaire to a representative sample of 1500 beef consumers. Within the questionnaire a Visual Choice Experiment was proposed and its results were analysed using a Multinomial Logit Model. The results show different consumer characteristics in the two analysed distribution channels, highlighting how the same product attributes have different meaning and relevance. Such results may supply strategic information for packaging, pricing and general commercialisation strategies to be implemented by the different agents in the distribution sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Italian Society of Agri-food Economics/Società Italiana di Economia Agro-Alimentare (SIEA) in its series 2012 XX Convegno Annuale SIEA, Siracusa with number 130448.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://digilander.libero.it/aissa1/societa/societa_siea.html
More information through EDIRC
Beef; Consumer Behaviour; Choice Experiment; Distribution; Marketing Strategies; Agribusiness; Agricultural and Food Policy; Q13; C90;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
- C90 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2012-08-23 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2012-08-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-HME-2012-08-23 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-MKT-2012-08-23 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Umberger, Wendy J., 2005. "Assessing Consumer Preferences for Country-of-Origin Labeling," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(01), April.
- Alessandro Banterle & Stefanella Stranieri, 2008. "Information, labelling, and vertical coordination: an analysis of the Italian meat supply networks," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(3), pages 320-331.
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Anderson, John D., 2004. "Effects of Country-of-Origin Labeling on Meat Producers and Consumers," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(02), August.
- Maria Luz Loureiro & Jill J. McCluskey, 2000. "Assessing consumer response to protected geographical identification labeling," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 309-320.
- Glynn T. Tonsor, 2011. "Consumer inferences of food safety and quality," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 38(2), pages 213-235, June.
- Glynn T. Tonsor & Nicole J. Olynk, 2011. "Impacts of Animal Well‐Being and Welfare Media on Meat Demand," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 59-72, 02.
- Loureiro, Maria L. & Umberger, Wendy J., 2003. "Estimating Consumer Willingness to Pay for Country-of-Origin Labeling," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(02), August.
- Zhifeng Gao & Ted C. Schroeder, 2007. "Effects of Label Information on Consumer Willingness-to-Pay for Food Attributes," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(3), pages 795-809.
- Michael A. Gunderson & Jayson L. Lusk & F. Bailey Norwood, 2009. "Getting Something from Nothing: An Investigation of Beef Demand Expansion and Substitution," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 31(1), pages 68-87.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.