The Role of Information Transparency in Public Procurement: the Example of Russian Regions
AbstractIt is an open question whether a more transparent public procurement leads to the more efficient outcomes. In the paper we show how transparency of the public procurement in the Russian regions is correlated with key factors that influence the outcomes of procurement procedures - competition, corruption, and control. Using the open information we evaluate availability and usability of different types of information presented on regional procurement websites by constructing a number of indices. Our empirical study shows that the transparency of information is significantly and negatively correlated with the level of corruption in the region and increases the utilization of control mechanisms. We also show that the more transparent systems are associated with the higher levels of competition.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by New Economic Association in its journal Journal of the New Economic Association.
Volume (Year): 15 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Nakhimovsky prospekt, 32, Office 1115, 117218 Moscow Russia
Phone: +7 495 7189855
Fax: +7 495 7189855
Web page: http://www.econorus.org/english.phtml
More information through EDIRC
public procurement; information transparency; corruption;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H57 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Procurement
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frédéric Boehm & Juanita Olaya, 2006. "Corruption In Public Contracting Auctions: The Role Of Transparency In Bidding Processes," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 77(4), pages 431-452, December.
- Kevin Zhu, 2004. "Information Transparency of Business-to-Business Electronic Markets: A Game-Theoretic Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(5), pages 670-685, May.
- Ariane Lambert-Mogiliansky & Konstantin Sonin, 2005.
"Collusive market-sharing and corruption in procurement,"
PSE Working Papers
- Ariane Lambert-Mogiliansky & Konstantin Sonin, 2006. "Collusive Market Sharing and Corruption in Procurement," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(4), pages 883-908, December.
- Hiroshi Ohashi, 2009.
"Effects of Transparency in Procurement Practices on Government Expenditure: A Case Study of Municipal Public Works,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 267-285, May.
- Hiroshi Ohashi, 2008. "Effects of Transparency in Procurement Practices on Government Expenditure: A Case Study of Municipal Public Works," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-548, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Mehmet Bac, 2001.
"Corruption, Connections and Transparency: Does a Better Screen Imply a Better Scene?,"
Springer, vol. 107(1), pages 87-96, April.
- Bac, Mehmet, 2001. " Corruption, Connections and Transparency: Does a Better Screen Imply a Better Scene?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 107(1-2), pages 87-96, April.
- von Furstenberg, George M., 2001. "Hopes and delusions of transparency1," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 105-120, March.
- Amaral, Miguel & Saussier, Stéphane & Yvrande-Billon, Anne, 2009. "Auction procedures and competition in public services: The case of urban public transport in France and London," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 166-175, June.
- Kolstad, Ivar & Wiig, Arne, 2009. "Is Transparency the Key to Reducing Corruption in Resource-Rich Countries?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 521-532, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexey Tcharykov).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.