Effects of Transparency in Procurement Practices on Government Expenditure: A Case Study of Municipal Public Works
AbstractThis paper examines the e?ect of improved transparency in the bidder quali.cation process, using the experience based on a case study of municipal public work auctions. It reveals that improved transparency reduces procurement cost by a maximum of three percent. This .nding is robust to the concerns of endogeneity, sample selectivity, and distributional assumptions. The bidding-function estimates, combined with features of Japanese procurement system, imply that the improved transparency limits abuse of auctioneer.s discretion, and thus weakens the stability of collusion among bidders.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Review of Industrial Organization.
Volume (Year): 34 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100336
Public procurement; Transparency; Discretion; Difference-in-differences; F14; H57; L13;
Other versions of this item:
- Hiroshi Ohashi, 2008. "Effects of Transparency in Procurement Practices on Government Expenditure: A Case Study of Municipal Public Works," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-548, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- H57 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Procurement
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Atsushi Iimi, 2006. "Auction Reforms for Effective Official Development Assistance," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 109-128, 03.
- Dakshina De Silva & Timothy Dunne & Anuruddha Kankanamge & Georgia Kosmopoulou, 2005.
"The Impact of Public Information on Bidding in Highway Procurement Auctions,"
- De Silva, Dakshina G. & Dunne, Timothy & Kankanamge, Anuruddha & Kosmopoulou, Georgia, 2008. "The impact of public information on bidding in highway procurement auctions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 150-181, January.
- Robert H. Porter & J. Douglas Zona, 1992.
"Detection of Bid Rigging in Procurement Auctions,"
NBER Working Papers
4013, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jun Nakabayashi, 2010.
"Small Business Set-asides in Procurement Auctions: An Empirical Analysis,"
Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series
gd09-126, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Nakabayashi, Jun, 2013. "Small business set-asides in procurement auctions: An empirical analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 100(C), pages 28-44.
- Jun Nakabayashi, 2009. "Small Business Set-asides in Procurement Auctions: An Empirical Analysis," Tsukuba Economics Working Papers 2009-005, Economics, Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Tsukuba, revised Nov 2009.
- Evenett, Simon J & Hoekman, Bernard, 2004.
"International Cooperation and the Reform of Public Procurement Policies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4663, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Evenett, Simon J. & Hoekman, Bernard M., 2005. "International cooperation and the reform of public procurement policies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3720, The World Bank.
- John McMillan, 1991. "Dango: Japan'S Price-Fixing Conspiracies," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(3), pages 201-218, November.
- Dakshina G. De Silva & Timothy Dunne & Georgia Kosmopoulou, 2003. "An Empirical Analysis of Entrant and Incumbent Bidding in Road Construction Auctions," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 295-316, 09.
- Pesendorfer, Martin, 2000. "A Study of Collusion in First-Price Auctions," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 67(3), pages 381-411, July.
- Patrick Bajari & Lixin Ye, 2003.
"Deciding Between Competition and Collusion,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 971-989, November.
- Federico Trionfetti, 2000. "Discriminatory Public Procurement and International Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 57-76, 01.
- Mauro, Paolo, 1998. "Corruption and the composition of government expenditure," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 263-279, June.
- Atsushi Iimi, 2013. "Testing Low-Balling Strategy in Rural Road Procurement," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 243-261, November.
- Eiji Yamamura & Haruo Kondoh, 2012.
"Government transparency and expenditure in the rent-seeking industry: The case of Japan for 1998–2004,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2012_13, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Eiji Yamamura & Haruo Kondoh, 2013. "Government Transparency And Expenditure In The Rent-Seeking Industry: The Case Of Japan For 1998–2004," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 31(3), pages 635-647, 07.
- Yamamura, Eiji & Kondoh, Haruo, 2011. "Government transparency and expenditure in the rent-seeking industry: the case of Japan for 1998-2004," MPRA Paper 29689, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Antonio Estache & A. Iimi, 2009.
"(Un)Bundling Infrastructure Procurement: Evidence from Water Supply and Sewage Projects,"
Working Papers ECARES
2009_007, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Estache, Antonio & Iimi, Atsushi, 2011. "(Un)bundling infrastructure procurement: Evidence from water supply and sewage projects," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 104-114, June.
- Estache, Antonio & Iimi, Atsushi, 2009. "(UN)Bundling infrastructure procurement : evidence from water supply and sewage projects," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4854, The World Bank.
- Iimi, Atsushi, 2013. "Multidimensional auctions for public energy efficiency projects : evidence from the Japanese ESCO market," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6485, The World Bank.
- Balsevich, A. & Pivovarova, S. & Podkolzina, E., 2012. "The Role of Information Transparency in Public Procurement: the Example of Russian Regions," Journal of the New Economic Association, New Economic Association, vol. 15(3), pages 82-112.
- Andrey Yakovlev & Andrey Tkachenko & Olga Demidova & Olga Balaeva, 2013. "An impact of different regulatory regimes on the effectiveness of public procurement," HSE Working papers WP BRP 08/PA/2013, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.