Duration of Residence in the Rental Housing Market
AbstractThis paper estimates a proportional hazard model of duration of residence in rental housing over 1987-98 based on a unique dataset from the BLS-CPI housing sample together with American Housing Survey and other metropolitan economic data. The paper employs an innovative semi-parametric estimation approach for group duration analysis of the proportional hazard model. Results of the analysis indicate that the duration of residence in rental housing varies significantly across individual units and market segments, and is effected by tenant, dwelling, and market characteristics. An improved understanding of duration of residence offers new insights as regards fluctuations in tenant turnover, building occupancy, and rent flows, as well as new confidence in pro forma assumptions critical to rental housing development. Copyright 2003 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Real Estate Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 26 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2-3 (March-May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102945
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Oliver Bischoff, 2010.
"Explaining Regional Variation in Equilibrium Real Estate Prices and Income,"
036, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
- Bischoff, Oliver, 2012. "Explaining regional variation in equilibrium real estate prices and income," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 1-15.
- Lawrence B. Smith, 2003. "Intertenancy Rent Decontrol in Ontario," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 29(2), pages 213-225, June.
- Jonathan Halket & Matteo Pignatti, 2012. "Housing tenure choices with private information," Economics Discussion Papers 717, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Jacobo Uña-Álvarez & Raquel Arévalo-Tomé & M. Soledad Otero-Giráldez, 2009. "Nonparametric Estimation of Households’ Duration of Residence from Panel Data," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 58-73, July.
- Red Larsen, Erling & Sommervoll, Dag Einar, 2009. "The impact on rent from tenant and landlord characteristics and interaction," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 316-322, May.
- Carlos Pestana Barros & Zhongfei Chen & Luis A. Gil-Alana, 2011.
"Housing Sales in Urban Beijing,"
2011/06, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
- Wayne Archer & David Ling & Brent C Smith, 2010. "Ownership Duration in the Residential Housing Market: The Influence of Structure, Tenure, Household and Neighborhood Factors," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 41-61, January.
- Guillaume Plantin & Igor Makarov, 2009. "Equilibrium Subprime Lending," 2009 Meeting Papers 456, Society for Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.