Mortgage Termination: An Empirical Hazard Model with a Stochastic Term Structure
AbstractPricing for mortgage and mortgage-backed securities is complicated due to the stochastic and interdependent nature of prepayment and default risks. This paper presents a unified economic model of the contingent claims and competing risks of mortgage termination by prepayment and default. I adopt a proportional hazard framework to analyze these competing and interdependent risks in a model with time-varying covariates. The paper incorporates a stochastic interest rate model into the hazard function for prepayment. The empirical results reported in the paper provide new evidence about the ruthlessness of default and prepayment behavior and the sensitivity of these decisions to demographic as well as financial phenomena. The results also illustrate that evaluating the interest rate contingent claims with a stochastic term structure has effects on predicting not only the mortgage prepayment behavior but also the mortgage default behavior. Copyright 1997 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Real Estate Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102945
Other versions of this item:
- Yongheng Deng, . "Mortgage Termination: An Empirical Hazard Model with Stochastic Term Structure," Working Papers _002, University of California at Berkeley, Econometrics Laboratory Software Archive.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yongheng Deng & Della Zheng & Changfeng Ling, 2005. "An Early Assessment of Residential Mortgage Performance in China," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 117-136, September.
- Jonathan B. Dressler & Jeffrey R. Stokes, 2010. "Survival analysis and mortgage termination at AgChoice ACA," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 70(1), pages 21-36, May.
- Demyanyk , Yuliya & Hasan, Iftekhar, 2009.
"Financial crises and bank failures: a review of prediction methods,"
Research Discussion Papers
35/2009, Bank of Finland.
- Demyanyk, Yuliya & Hasan, Iftekhar, 2010. "Financial crises and bank failures: A review of prediction methods," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 315-324, October.
- Yuliya Demyanyk & Iftekhar Hasan, 2009. "Financial crises and bank failures: a review of prediction methods," Working Paper 0904, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Ando, Tomohiro, 2009. "Bayesian inference for the hazard term structure with functional predictors using Bayesian predictive information criteria," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 1925-1939, April.
- Yuliya Demyanyk & Otto Van Hemert, 2009. "Understanding the subprime mortgage crisis," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jan.
- Agarwal, Sumit & Ambrose, Brent W. & Chomsisengphet, Souphala & Liu, Chunlin, 2006. "An empirical analysis of home equity loan and line performance," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 444-469, October.
- Hartarska, Valentina M. & Gonzalez-Vega, Claudio, 2002. "A Comparison Of Option-Theoretic And Choice-Theoretic Approaches To Evaluating Alternative Financial Technologies For Mortgage Loans To Low-Income Households," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19645, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Dressler, Jonathan B. & Stokes, Jeffrey R., 2006. "Mortgage Termination at AgChoice Farm Credit," Proceedings: 2006 Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition, October 2-3, 2006; Washington, DC 133077, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- David M. Harrison & Thomas G. Noordewier & K. Ramagopal, 2002. "Mortgage Terminations: The Role of Conditional Volatility," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 23(1/2), pages 89-110.
- Danny Ben-Shahar, 2006. "Screening Mortgage Default Risk: A Unified Theoretical Framework," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 28(3), pages 215-240.
- Hartarska, Valentina M. & Gonzalez-Vega, Claudio, 2003. "Credit Counseling and Mortgage Termination by Low-Income Households," Proceedings: 2003 Regional Committee NCT-194, October 6-7, 2003; Kansas City, Missouri 132518, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- Anthony Pennington-Cross, 2005. "Aggregation bias and the repeat sales price index," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Real estate indicators and financial stability, volume 21, pages 323-335 Bank for International Settlements.
- repec:fip:fedhpr:y:2005:i:apr:x:14 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michael LaCour-Little & Michael Marschoun & Clark L. Maxam, 2002. "Improving Parametric Mortgage Prepayment Models with Non-parametric Kernel Regression," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 24(3), pages 299-328.
- Lee, Pei-Ting & Rosenfield, Donald B., 2005. "When to refinance a mortgage: A dynamic programming approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 166(1), pages 266-277, October.
- Enrico De Giorgi, 2002. "An Intensity Based Non-Parametric Default Model for Residential Mortgage Portfolios," Risk and Insurance 0209001, EconWPA, revised 09 Sep 2002.
- DeYoung, Robert & Glennon, Dennis & Nigro, Peter, 2008. "Borrower-lender distance, credit scoring, and loan performance: Evidence from informational-opaque small business borrowers," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 113-143, January.
- Carling, Kenneth & Jacobson, Tor & Roszbach, Kasper, 2001. "Dormancy risk and expected profits of consumer loans," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 717-739, April.
- Hartarska, Valentina M. & Gonzalez-Vega, Claudio, 2001. "Credit Counseling And Mortgage Loan Default By Rural And Urban Low Income Households," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20740, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- David Feldman & Shulamith Gross, 2005. "Mortgage Default: Classification Trees Analysis," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 369-396, June.
- Dennis Glennon & Peter Nigro, 2005. "An Analysis of SBA Loan Defaults by Maturity Structure," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 77-111, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.