An Examination of Multiple Governance Forces within Bank Holding Companies
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Financial Services Research.
Volume (Year): 29 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102934
Bank holding companies; Executive compensation; Corporate governance; Firm performance;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hermalin, Benjamin E. & Wallace, Nancy E., 2001.
"Firm performance and executive compensation in the savings and loan industry,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 139-170, July.
- Benjamin E. Hermalin & Nancy E. Wallace, 1997. "Firm Performance and Executive Compensation in the Savings and Loan Industry," Finance 9710006, EconWPA.
- Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 1996.
"Endogenously Chosen Boards of Directors and Their Monitoring of the CEO,"
9602001, EconWPA, revised 09 Oct 1996.
- Hermalin, Benjamin E & Weisbach, Michael S, 1998. "Endogenously Chosen Boards of Directors and Their Monitoring of the CEO," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 96-118, March.
- Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 1996. "Endogenously Chosen Boards of Directors and Their Monitoring of the CEO," Working Papers _004, University of California at Berkeley, Haas School of Business.
- Core, John & Guay, Wayne, 1999. "The use of equity grants to manage optimal equity incentive levels," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 151-184, December.
- Fields, L. Paige & Fraser, Donald R., 1999. "On the compensation implications of commercial bank entry into investment banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(8), pages 1261-1276, August.
- Demsetz, Harold & Lehn, Kenneth, 1985. "The Structure of Corporate Ownership: Causes and Consequences," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(6), pages 1155-77, December.
- Smith, C.W. & Watts, R.L., 1992.
"The Investment Oppotunity set and Corporate Financing, Dividend and Compensation Policies,"
92-02, Rochester, Business - Financial Research and Policy Studies.
- Smith, Clifford Jr. & Watts, Ross L., 1992. "The investment opportunity set and corporate financing, dividend, and compensation policies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 263-292, December.
- Douglas Evanoff & Larry Wall, 2001.
"Sub-debt Yield Spreads as Bank Risk Measures,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 121-145, October.
- Brian J. Hall & Jeffrey B. Liebman, 1997.
"Are CEOs Really Paid Like Bureaucrats?,"
NBER Working Papers
6213, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Boschen, John F & Smith, Kimberly J, 1995. "You Can Pay Me Now and You Can Pay Me Later: The Dynamic Response of Executive Compensation to Firm Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(4), pages 577-608, October.
- Stoughton, Neal M & Talmor, Eli, 1999. "Managerial Bargaining Power in the Determination of Compensation Contracts and Corporate Investment," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(1), pages 69-93, February.
- Murphy, Kevin J., 1985. "Corporate performance and managerial remuneration : An empirical analysis," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1-3), pages 11-42, April.
- John, Kose & Saunders, Anthony & Senbet, Lemma W, 2000.
"A Theory of Bank Regulation and Management Compensation,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(1), pages 95-125.
- Kose John & Anthony Saunders & Lemma W. Senbet, 1998. "A Theory of Bank Regulation and Management Compensation," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 98-043, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Kose John & Anthony Saunders & Lemma W. Senbet, 1996. "A Theory of Bank Regulation and Management Compensation," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 96-30, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Mark C. Anderson & Rajiv D. Banker & Sury Ravindran, 2000. "Executive Compensation in the Information Technology Industry," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(4), pages 530-547, April.
- Thomas B. King, 2003. "Discipline and liquidity in the market for federal funds," Supervisory Policy Analysis Working Papers 2003-02, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Barro, Jason R & Barro, Robert J, 1990.
"Pay, Performance, and Turnover of Bank CEOs,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(4), pages 448-81, October.
- Jason R. Barro & Robert J. Barro, 1990. "Pay, Performance, and Turnover of Bank CEOs," NBER Working Papers 3262, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Jason R. & Barro, Robert J., 1990. "Pay, Performance, and Turnover of Bank CEOs," Scholarly Articles 3451300, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- George P. Baker & Brian J. Hall, 1998. "CEO Incentives and Firm Size," NBER Working Papers 6868, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jensen, Michael C & Murphy, Kevin J, 1990.
"Performance Pay and Top-Management Incentives,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(2), pages 225-64, April.
- Kose John & Hamid Mehran & Yiming Qian, 2007. "Regulation, subordinated debt, and incentive features of CEO compensation in the banking industry," Staff Reports 308, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Weisbach, Michael S., 1988. "Outside directors and CEO turnover," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 431-460, January.
- Crawford, Anthony J & Ezzell, John R & Miles, James A, 1995. "Bank CEO Pay-Performance Relations and the Effects of Deregulation," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(2), pages 231-56, April.
- Murphy, Kevin J., 1999. "Executive compensation," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 38, pages 2485-2563 Elsevier.
- Sloan, Richard G., 1993. "Accounting earnings and top executive compensation," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-3), pages 55-100, April.
- Renee Adams & Hamid Mehran, 2003. "Is corporate governance different for bank holding companies?," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Apr, pages 123-142.
- Elizabeth Webb, 2008. "Regulator Scrutiny and Bank CEO Incentives," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 5-20, February.
- Pathan, Shams & Faff, Robert, 2013. "Does board structure in banks really affect their performance?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1573-1589.
- Agoraki, Maria-Eleni & Delis, Manthos D & Staikouras, Panagiotis, 2009.
"The effect of board size and composition on bank efficiency,"
18548, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maria-Eleni K. Agoraki & Manthos D. Delis & Panagiotis K. Staikouras, 2010. "The effect of board size and composition on bank efficiency," International Journal of Banking, Accounting and Finance, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 2(4), pages 357-386.
- David VanHoose, 2010. "Regulation of Bank Management Compensation," NFI Policy Briefs 2010-PB-06, Indiana State University, Scott College of Business, Networks Financial Institute.
- Elizabeth W. Cooper, 2011. "Determinants of off-balance sheet usage in private banks," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(4), pages 248-259, October.
- Pornsit Jiraporn & Pandej Chintrakarn & Jang-Chul Kim & Yixin Liu, 2013. "Exploring the Agency Cost of Debt: Evidence from the ISS Governance Standards," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 205-227, October.
- Webb Cooper, Elizabeth, 2009. "Monitoring and governance of private banks," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 253-264, May.
- Emilia Peni & Sami Vähämaa, 2012. "Did Good Corporate Governance Improve Bank Performance during the Financial Crisis?," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 19-35, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.