You Can Pay Me Now and You Can Pay Me Later: The Dynamic Response of Executive Compensation to Firm Performance
AbstractEmpirical studies estimating the impact of firm performance on executive pay have primarily concentrated on the short-run response. In this study, the authors present estimates of the complete dynamic response of CEO pay to firm performance. They find that the cumulative response of pay to performance is roughly ten times that of the contemporaneous response, a onetime innovation in firm performance typically raises pay over the next 4-5 years, and compensation arrangements have shifted toward greater performance sensitivity and longer-term pay arrangements over the four decades studied. Copyright 1995 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 68 (1995)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Olson, Eric & Miller, Scott & Wohar, Mark E., 2012. "“Black Swans” before the “Black Swan” evidence from international LIBOR–OIS spreads," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1339-1357.
- Edmans, Alex & Gabaix, Xavier & Sadzik, Tomasz & Sannikov, Yuliy, 2009.
"Dynamic Incentive Accounts,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7497, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yuliy Sannikov & Xavier Gabaix & Tomasz Sadzik & Alex Edmans, 2010. "Dynamic Incentive Accounts," 2010 Meeting Papers 1207, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Alex Edmans & Xavier Gabaix & Tomasz Sadzik & Yuliy Sannikov, 2009. "Dynamic Incentive Accounts," NBER Working Papers 15324, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hristos Doucouliagos & Michael Graham & Janto Haman, 2012. "Dynamics and Convergence in Chief Executive Officer Pay," Economics Series 2012_3, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Andjelkovic, Aleksandar & Boyle, Glenn & McNoe, Warren, 2002. "Public disclosure of executive compensation: Do shareholders need to know?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 97-117, January.
- Gregory E. Sierra & Eli Talmor & James S. Wallace, 2004. "A unified analysis of executive pay: the case of the banking industry," Supervisory Policy Analysis Working Papers 2004-02, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Edmans, Alex & Gabaix, Xavier & Sadzik, Tomasz & Sannikov, Yuliy, 2010. "Dynamic Incentive Accounts," Working Papers 10-19, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Frederick Guy, 2000. "CEO Pay, Shareholder Returns, and Accounting Profits," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 7(3), pages 263-274.
- Hristos Doucouliagos & Janto Haman & Saeed Askary, 2007.
"Directors' Remuneration and Performance in Australian Banking,"
Corporate Governance: An International Review,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(6), pages 1363-1383, November.
- Hristos Doucouliagos & Saeed Askary & Janto Haman, 2006. "Directors' Remuneration and Performance in Australian Banking," Economics Series 2006_11, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Giorgio Canarella & Mahmoud M. Nourayi, 2008. "Executive compensation and firm performance: adjustment dynamics, non-linearity and asymmetry," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(4), pages 293-315.
- Scott, John L. & Anderson, Randy I. & Webb, James R., 2005. "The labor-leisure choice in executive compensation plans: Does too much pay reduce REIT performance?," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 151-163.
- Fred Guy, 2000. "CEO Pay, Shareholder Returns and Accounting Profitability," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp155, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Chen, Yenn-Ru & Lee, Bong Soo, 2010. "A dynamic analysis of executive stock options: Determinants and consequences," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 88-103, February.
- Mahmoud Nourayi & Sudha Krishnan, 2006. "The impact of incentives on CEO compensation and firm performance," International Review of Economics, Springer, vol. 53(3), pages 402-420, September.
- Unite, Angelo A. & Sullivan, Michael J. & Brookman, Jeffrey & Majadillas, Mary Anne & Taningco, Angelo, 2008. "Executive pay and firm performance in the Philippines," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 606-623, November.
- Sabac, Florin, 2008. "Dynamic incentives and retirement," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 172-200, September.
- Gregory Sierra & Eli Talmor & James Wallace, 2006. "An Examination of Multiple Governance Forces within Bank Holding Companies," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 105-123, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.