Generalized Gini Indices of Equality of Opportunity
AbstractThis article considers the ranking of profiles of opportunity sets on the basis of their equality. A version of the Pigou-Dalton transfer principle that is appropriate for the measurement of opportunity inequality is introduced and used to axiomatize the class of generalized Gini equality of opportunity orderings. A characterization of the class of generalized Gini social preference orderings for opportunity profiles is also provided.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal The Journal of Economic Inequality.
Volume (Year): 1 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=111137
equity; equality of opportunity; Gini; inequality measurement; opportunity sets;
Other versions of this item:
- John A. Weymark, 2001. "Generalized Gini Indices of Equality of Opportunity," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0114, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics, revised Jun 2002.
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ok, Efe A., 1997.
"On Opportunity Inequality Measurement,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 300-329, December.
- Weymark, John A., 1981. "Generalized gini inequality indices," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 409-430, August.
- BARBERA, Salvador & BOSSERT, Walter & PATTANAIK, Prasanta K., 2001.
"Ranking Sets of Objects,"
Cahiers de recherche
2001-02, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Nicolas Gravel & Jean-Francois Laslier & Alain Trannoy, 2000. "Consistency between tastes and values: A universalization approach," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 293-320.
- Dirk Van de gaer & Marc Fleurbaey & Walter Bossert, 1999. "Responsibility, talent, and compensation: A second-best analysis," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 35-55.
- Einy, Ezra & Peleg, Bezalel, 1991. "Linear measures of inequality for cooperative games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 328-344, April.
- Donaldson, David & Weymark, John A., 1980. "A single-parameter generalization of the Gini indices of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 67-86, February.
- Laurence Kranich, 1999. "Measuring Opportunity Inequality with Monetary Transfers," Discussion Papers 99-02, University at Albany, SUNY, Department of Economics.
- Efe A. Ok & Laurence Kranich, 1998. "The measurement of opportunity inequality: a cardinality-based approach," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 263-287.
- Kranich, Laurence, 1996.
"Equitable Opportunities: An Axiomatic Approach,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 131-147, October.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Peragine, Vitorocco, 1999. " The Distribution and Redistribution of Opportunity," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 37-69, February.
- Bossert, Walter, 1990. "An axiomatization of the single-series Ginis," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 82-92, February.
- Herrero, Carmen & Iturbe-Ormaetxe, Inigo & Nieto, Jorge, 1998. "Ranking opportunity profiles on the basis of the common opportunities," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 273-289, May.
- Herrero, Carmen, 1997. "Equitable opportunities: an extension," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 91-95, August.
- Savaglio, Ernesto & Vannucci, Stefano, 2007. "Filtral preorders and opportunity inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 474-492, January.
- Laurence Kranich, 1996. "Equitable opportunities in economic environments," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 57-64.
- Antonio Abatemarco, 2010.
"Measuring inequality of opportunity through between-group inequality components,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 475-490, December.
- Abatemarco, Antonio, 2008. "Measuring Inequality of Opportunity through Between-Group Inequality Components," IRISS Working Paper Series 2008-11, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Chakravarty, Satya R. & Zoli, Claudio, 2012. "Stochastic dominance relations for integer variables," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(4), pages 1331-1341.
- William Horrace & Joseph Marchand & Timothy Smeeding, 2008.
"Ranking inequality: Applications of multivariate subset selection,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 5-32, March.
- William C. Horrace & Joseph T. Marchand & Timothy M. Smeeding, 2006. "Ranking Inequality: Applications of Multivariate Subset Selection," Working Papers 21, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- William C. Horrace & Joseph T. Marchand & Timothy M. Smeeding, 2005. "Ranking Inequality: Applications of Multivariate Subset Selection," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 70, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Laurence Kranich, 2009. "Measuring opportunity inequality with monetary transfers," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 371-385, December.
- Vito Peragine & Laura Serlenga, 2007.
"Higher education and equality of opportunity in Italy,"
CHILD Working Papers
wp01_08, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Laura Serlenga & Vito Peragine, 2007. "Higher education and equality of opportunity in Italy," Working Papers 79, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Peragine, Vito & Serlenga, Laura, 2007. "Higher Education and Equality of Opportunity in Italy," IZA Discussion Papers 3163, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rebeca Echávarri & Iñaki Permanyer, 2008. "Ranking profiles of capability sets," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 521-535, October.
- Giuseppe Pignataro, 2009. "Decomposing equality of opportunity by income sources," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(2), pages 702-711.
- James Foster, 2010. "Freedom, Opportunity and Wellbeing," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp035, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.