On Ranking Opportunity Sets in Terms of Freedom of Choice
AbstractThe paper explores the notion of freedom of choice which is of considerable importance in welfare economics and the theory of social choice. Three plausible axioms are introduced for ranking alternative opportunity sets in terms of the degrees of freedom that they offer to the agent making choices. It is shown that, under these axioms, judgements about degrees of freedom of choice have to be based on the naive principle of simply counting the number of available options.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES) in its series Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) with number 1990036.
Date of creation: 01 Sep 1990
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wiebke Kuklys & Ingrid Robeyns, 2004. "Sens's Capability Approach to Welfare Economics," Papers on Strategic Interaction 2004-03, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Strategic Interaction Group.
- Vito Peragine & Ernesto Savaglio & Stefano Vannucci, 2008.
"Poverty Rankings of Opportunity Profiles,"
Department of Economics University of Siena
548, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Vito Peragine & Ernesto Savaglio & Stefano Vannucci, 2009. "Poverty rankings of opportunity profiles," Working Papers 115, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Vito Peragine & Ernesto Savaglio & Stefano Vannucci, 2009. "Poverty Rankings Of Opportunity Profiles," CHILD Working Papers wp11_09, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Thomson, William, 2011. "Chapter Twenty-One - Fair Allocation Rules," Handbook of Social Choice and Welfare, in: K. J. Arrow & A. K. Sen & K. Suzumura (ed.), Handbook of Social Choice and Welfare, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 21, pages 393-506 Elsevier.
- Kuklys, W. & Robeyns, I., 2004. "Sen’s Capability Approach to Welfare Economics," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0415, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Gaetano Gaballo & Ernesto Savaglio, 2012.
"On Revealed Diversity,"
Department of Economics University of Siena
635, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Stefano Vannucci, 2013. "A characterization of height-based extensions of principal filtral opportunity rankings," REVISTA CUADERNOS DE ECONOMÍA, UN - RCE - CID.
- Rebeca A. Echávarri, 2006. "Gender Bias in Sex Ratio at Birth: The Case of India," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de EconomÃa - Universidad PÃºblica de Navarra 0605, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- James E. Foster, 2010. "Freedom, Opportunity and Wellbeing," Working Papers 2010-15, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- Ernesto Cárdenas, 2013. "Editorial Número Especial," REVISTA CUADERNOS DE ECONOMÍA, UN - RCE - CID.
- Hadrien Gouze, 2012. "L'articulation entre efficacité et justice dans la conception du marché chez Amartya K. Sen," Post-Print dumas-00802133, HAL.
- Raphaël Lhomme, 2013. "Faits et valeurs dans l'approche par les capabilités en économie : la place de la culture dans la méthodologie. Le cas des inégalités de genre dans l'accès à l'éducation de base," Post-Print dumas-00906152, HAL.
- Wulf Gaertner, 2012. "Evaluating sets of objects in characteristics space," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 303-321, July.
- Jun Matsuyama & Kenji Mori, 2010. "Freedom and achievement of well-being in the adaptive dynamics of capabilities," TERG Discussion Papers 252, Graduate School of Economics and Management, Tohoku University.
- Agee, Mark D. & Crocker, Thomas D., 2013. "Operationalizing the capability approach to assessing well-being," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 80-86.
- Jorge Alcalde-Unzu & Miguel Ballester, 2012. "Ranking opportunity profiles through dependent evaluation of policies," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 471-487, December.
- Sabina Alkire & Maria Santos, 2013. "A Multidimensional Approach: Poverty Measurement & Beyond," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 112(2), pages 239-257, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sebastien SCHILLINGS).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.