Competition among movie theaters: an empirical investigation of the Toho–Subaru antitrust case
AbstractThis study assesses the 1951 Toho–Subaru antitrust merger case in the Japanese movie theater market. Using information regarding the location of theaters in the Tokyo metropolitan area, I examined the relationship between the number of attendees and the structure of the local market competition: a regression equation relating to the number of attendees and the local market structure was derived from a model of product differentiation, which incorporated the features of a movie theater market. The results revealed that nearby rival theaters had negative effects on other theaters’ attendance numbers, and these effects did not dissipate even where there was 10 km between each theater. Based on empirical results, it appears that the Tokyo High Court and the competition agency defined the geographic movie theater market as being smaller than it actually was. The results of this study suggest that the application of econometric analysis, combining geographic information, is useful in merger reviews of retail industries, such as movie theaters. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media New York 2012
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Cultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 36 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100284
Antitrust; Local market competition; Merger; Movie theater market; L11; L41; L82; N45; N75;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L41 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Monopolization; Horizontal Anticompetitive Practices
- L82 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Entertainment; Media
- N45 - Economic History - - Government, War, Law, International Relations, and Regulation - - - Asia including Middle East
- N75 - Economic History - - Economic History: Transport, International and Domestic Trade, Energy, and Other Services - - - Asia including Middle East
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Darlene Chisholm & Margaret McMillan & George Norman, 2010.
"Product differentiation and film-programming choice: do first-run movie theatres show the same films?,"
Journal of Cultural Economics,
Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 131-145, May.
- Darlene C. Chisolm & Margaret McMillan & George Norman, 2007. "Product Differentiation and Film Programming Choice: Do First-Run Movie Theatres Show the Same Films?," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0713, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Darlene C. Chisholm & Margaret S. McMillan & George Norman, 2006. "Product Differentiation and Film Programming Choice: Do First-Run Movie Theatres Show the Same Films?," NBER Working Papers 12646, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Darlene C. Chisholm & Margaret S. McMillan & George Norman, 2005. "Product Differentiation and Film Programming Choice: Do First-Run Movie Theatres Show the Same Films?," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0523, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Howard Smith, 2004. "Supermarket Choice and Supermarket Competition in Market Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(1), pages 235-263.
- Lawrence J. White, 2008. "The Role of Competition Policy in the Promotion of Economic Growth," Working Papers 08-19, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Arturs Kalnins, 2006. "Markets: The U.S. Lodging Industry," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 203-218, Fall.
- Steven T. Berry, 1994. "Estimating Discrete-Choice Models of Product Differentiation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(2), pages 242-262, Summer.
- Orbach, Barak Y. & Einav, Liran, 2007. "Uniform prices for differentiated goods: The case of the movie-theater industry," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 129-153.
- Joris Pinkse & Margaret E. Slade & Craig Brett, 2002. "Spatial Price Competition: A Semiparametric Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(3), pages 1111-1153, May.
- Martin Gaynor & William Vogt, 2002.
"Competition Among Hospitals,"
GSIA Working Papers
2003-E20, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Martin Gaynor & William B. Vogt, 2003. "Competition Among Hospitals," NBER Working Papers 9471, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Gaynor & William B Vogt, 2003. "Competition among Hospitals," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 03/087, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Ricard Gil, 2010. "An empirical investigation of the Paramount antitrust case," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 171-183.
- Berry, Steven & Levinsohn, James & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Automobile Prices in Market Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 841-90, July.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:i:4:p:964-982 is not listed on IDEAS
- Frankl, Jennifer L., 1999. "An Analysis of Japanese Corporate Structure, 1915–1937," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 59(04), pages 997-1015, December.
- Daniel A. Ackerberg & Marc Rysman, 2005.
"Unobserved Product Differentiation in Discrete-Choice Models: Estimating Price Elasticities and Welfare Effects,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 36(4), pages 771-788, Winter.
- Daniel A. Ackerberg & Marc Rysman, 2002. "Unobserved Product Differentiation in Discrete Choice Models: Estimating Price Elasticities and Welfare Effects," NBER Working Papers 8798, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tetsuji Okazaki, 2000. "Role of Holding Companies in Prewar Japanese Economic Development: Rethinking Zaibatsu in Perspectives of Corporate Governance," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-74, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Darlene Chisholm & George Norman, 2012.
"Spatial competition and market share: an application to motion pictures,"
Journal of Cultural Economics,
Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 207-225, August.
- Darlene C. Chisolm & George Norman, 2011. "Spatial Competition and market Share: An Application to Motion Pictures," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0763, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Raphael Thomadsen, 2005. "The Effect of Ownership Structure on Prices in Geographically Differentiated Industries," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 36(4), pages 908-929, Winter.
- Peter Davis, 2006. "Spatial competition in retail markets: movie theaters," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(4), pages 964-982, December.
- Frederick Warren-Boulton & Serdar Dalkir, 2001. "Staples and Office Depot: An Event-Probability Case Study," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 467-479, December.
- Okazaki Tetsuji, 1993. "The Japanese Firm under the Wartime Planned Economy," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 175-203, June.
- Howard Smith, 2004. "Supermarket Choice and Supermarket Competition in Market�Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71(1), pages 235-263, 01.
- Liran Einav, 2007. "Seasonality in the U.S. motion picture industry," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 38(1), pages 127-145, 03.
- Fernanda Gutierrez-Navratil & Victor Fernandez-Blanco & Luis Orea & Juan Prieto-Rodriguez, 2011.
"How do your rivals' releasing dates affect your box office?,"
ACEI Working Paper Series
AWP-04-2011, the Association for Cultural Economics International, revised Nov 2011.
- Fernanda Gutierrez-Navratil & Victor Fernandez-Blanco & Luis Orea & Juan Prieto-Rodriguez, 2014. "How do your rivals’ releasing dates affect your box office?," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 71-84, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.