The Effect of Local Competition on Admission Prices in the U.S. Motion Picture Exhibition Market
AbstractThis paper provides empirical evidence on the relationship between local market structure and the prices charged to consumers in the U.S. motion picture exhibition market. I find that there is a statistically significant relationship between the geographic distribution of movie theaters in a market and the admission prices that they are able to charge. However, the magnitude of the price-reducing effect of local competition appears to be economically modest. Moreover, I find no evidence that increases in geographic concentration lead to increased adult admission prices. The findings are directly relevant to merger policy in the industry and pertinent because of the dramatic changes in industry structure resulting from mergers that occurred during 2002. I conclude that the available evidence suggests that popular and governmental concerns about horizontal mergers in the industry leading to dramatically increased admission prices are likely misplaced.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Law and Economics.
Volume (Year): 48 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Johannes Sauer & Matthew Gorton & John White, 2012.
"Marketing, cooperatives and price heterogeneity: evidence from the CIS dairy sector,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 43(2), pages 165-177, 03.
- Sauer, Johannes & Gorton, Matthew & White, John, 2011. "Marketing, cooperatives and price heterogeneity: evidence from the CIS dairy sector," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103722, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Sauer, Johannes & Gorton, Matthew & White, John, 2011. "Marketing, Co-operatives and Price Heterogeneity: Evidence from the CIS Dairy Sector," 85th Annual Conference, April 18-20, 2011, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 108938, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Sauer, Johannes & Gorton, Matthew & White, John, 2011. "Marketing, Cooperatives and Price Heterogeneity: Evidence from the CIS Dairy Sector," 51st Annual Conference, Halle, Germany, September 28-30, 2011 114489, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Luca Aguzzoni & Elena Argentesi & Lorenzo Ciari & Tomaso Duso & Massimo Tognoni, 2013.
"Ex-Post Merger Evaluation in the UK Retail Market for Books,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1310, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Duso, Tomaso & Argentesi, Elena & Aguzzoni, Luca & Ciari, Lorenzo & Tognoni, Massimo, 2013. "Ex-post Merger Evaluation in the UK Retail Market for Books," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 80025, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- L. Aguzzoni & E. Argentesi & L. Ciari & T. Duso & M. Tognoni, 2013. "Ex-post Merger Evaluation in the UK Retail Market for Books," Working Papers wp889, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Aguzzoni, Luca & Argentesi, Elena & Ciari, Lorenzo & Duso, Tomaso & Tognoni, Massimo, 2013. "Ex-post merger evaluation in the UK retail market for books," DICE Discussion Papers 98, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Takahashi, Yuya, 2013. "Estimating a War of Attrition: The Case of the U.S. Movie Theater Industry," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 424, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Sault, Joanne & Toivanen, Otto & Waterson, Michael, 2003. "Learning and Location," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 693, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Enrico Böhme & Christopher Müller, 2011.
"Searching for the Concentration-Price Effect in the German Movie Theater Industry,"
Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik),
Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 231(4), pages 479-493, August.
- Böhme, Enrico & Müller, Christopher, 2009. "Searching for the Concentration-Price Effect in the German Movie Theater Industry," MPRA Paper 15315, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Beckert, Walter & Mazzarotto, Nicola, 2010.
"Price-concentration analysis in merger cases with differentiated products,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2010-5, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Beckert, Walter & Mazzarotto, Nicola, 2010. "Price-concentration analysis in merger cases with differentiated products," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 4(16), pages 1-23.
- Feinberg, Robert M., 2014.
"Price effects of multimarket contact among movie chains in small US metropolitan areas,"
Elsevier, vol. 123(1), pages 6-8.
- Robert M. Feinberg, 2013. "Price Effects of Multimarket Contact Among Movie Chains in Small U.S. Metropolitan Areas," Working Papers 2013-15, American University, Department of Economics.
- Müller, Christopher & Böhme, Enrico, 2011.
"A note on the relationship of mainstream and art house movie theaters,"
27908, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christopher Müller & Enrico Böhme, 2011. "A note on the relationship of mainstream and art house movie theaters," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(1), pages 29-34.
- Abe Dunn, 2009. "Does Competition Among Medicare Advantage Plans Matter?: An Empirical Analysis of the Effects of Local Competition in a Regulated Environment," EAG Discussions Papers 200905, Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
- Ganesh Iyer & P. Seetharaman, 2008. "Too close to be similar: Product and price competition in retail gasoline markets," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 205-234, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.