Chernobyl effects on domestic and inbound tourism in Sweden — A time series analysis
AbstractThis paper estimates the impact of the Chernobyl nuclear accident on domestic and international tourism in Sweden. From ARIMA time series forecasts, outlier search, and intervention analysis based on regional monthly accommodation data from 1978–1989, no effect on domestic tourism is found. However, there is an enduring deterrence effect on incoming tourism. The loss of gross revenue from incoming tourism because of the Chernobyl accident, is estimated to 2.5 billion SEK. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1997
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists in its journal Environmental & Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 9 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263
tourism; Chernobyl; intervention analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gregory, Allan W. & Wirjanto, Tony, 1993. "The effect of sampling error on the time series behavior of consumption data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1-2), pages 267-273.
- Opaluch James J. & Swallow Stephen K. & Weaver Thomas & Wessells Christopher W. & Wichelns Dennis, 1993. "Evaluating Impacts from Noxious Facilities: Including Public Preferences in Current Siting Mechanisms," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 41-59, January.
- Bell, William R. & Wilcox, David W., 1993. "The effect of sampling error on the time series behavior of consumption data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1-2), pages 235-265.
- W. Hanemann & Per-Olov Johansson & Bengt Kriström & Leif Mattsson, 1992. "Natural resources damages from Chernobyl," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 2(5), pages 523-525, September.
- Rugg, Donald, 1973. "The Choice of Journey Destination: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(1), pages 64-72, February.
- W. Douglass Shaw, 1992. "Searching for the Opportunity Cost of an Individual's Time," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 68(1), pages 107-115.
- Enders, Walter & Sandler, Todd & Parise, Gerald F, 1992. "An Econometric Analysis of the Impact of Terrorism on Tourism," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(4), pages 531-54.
- Benjamin Collier & Ani L. Katchova & Jerry R. Skees, 2011.
"Loan portfolio performance and El Niño, an intervention analysis,"
Agricultural Finance Review,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 71(1), pages 98-119, May.
- Collier, Benjamin & Katchova, Ani L. & Skees, Jerry R., 2010. "Loan Portfolio Performance and El Niño, an Intervention Analysis," 2010 Annual Meeting, February 6-9, 2010, Orlando, Florida 56217, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Amitrajeet Batabyal & Hamid Beladi, 2008.
"Visitor classification, vehicle breakdowns, and the provision of transport for tourism,"
AStA Wirtschafts- und Sozialstatistisches Archiv,
Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 99-105, December.
- Amitrajeet Batabyal & Hamid Beladi, 2008. "Visitor classification, vehicle breakdowns, and the provision of transport for tourism," Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 99-105, December.
- J.A. Giesecke & W.J. Burns & A. Barrett & E. Bayrak & A. Rose & M. Suher, 2010. "Assessment of the Regional Economic Impacts of Catastrophic Events: CGE analysis of resource loss and behavioral effects of a RDD attack scenario," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers g-194, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Tore Söderqvist, 2000. "Natural Resources Damage from Chernobyl: Further Results," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 16(3), pages 343-346, July.
- Arias Martín, Pedro, 2013. "La situación del empleo en turismo rural en España/The Employment Situation in Rural Tourism in Spain," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 31, pages 257 (22pags, Enero.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.