Using Actual And Contingent Behavior Data With Differing Levels Of Time Aggregation To Model Recreation Demand
AbstractA model of recreation demand is developed to determine the role of water levels in determining participation at and frequency of trips taken to various federal reservoirs and rivers in the Columbia River Basin. Contingent behavior data are required to break the near-perfect multicollinearities among water levels at some waters. We combine demand data for each survey respondent at different levels of time aggregation (summer months, rest of year, and annual), and our empirical models accommodate the natural heteroskedasticity that results. Our empirical results show it to be quite important to control carefully for survey nonresponse bias.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 21 (1996)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
Resource /Energy Economics and Policy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Hellerstein, 1992. "Estimating Consumer Surplus in the Censored Linear Model," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 68(1), pages 83-92.
- Jeffrey Englin & Trudy Cameron, 1996. "Augmenting travel cost models with contingent behavior data," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 7(2), pages 133-147, March.
- W. Douglass Shaw, 1992. "Searching for the Opportunity Cost of an Individual's Time," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 68(1), pages 107-115.
- Morey Edward R., 1994. "What Is Consumer's Surplus Per Day of Use, When Is It a Constant Independent of the Number of Days of Use, and What Does It Tell Us about Consumers Surplus?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 257-270, May.
- Trudy Ann Cameron, 1992. "Combining Contingent Valuation and Travel Cost Data for the Valuation of Nonmarket Goods," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 68(3), pages 302-317.
- Yongsik Jeon & Joseph Herriges, 2010.
"Convergent Validity of Contingent Behavior Responses in Models of Recreation Demand,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 45(2), pages 223-250, February.
- Jeon, Yongsik & Herriges, Joseph A., 2005. "Convergent Validity of Contingent Behavior Responses in Models of Recreation Demand," Staff General Research Papers 12473, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Mathews, Leah Greden, 1999. "Estimating Water Quality Benefits By Combining Revealed And Stated Preference Methods: An Application In The Minnesota River," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21621, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jakus, Paul M. & Dowell, Paula & Murray, Matthew N., 2000. "The Effect Of Fluctuating Water Levels On Reservoir Fishing," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(02), December.
- John C. Whitehead & Subhrendu K. Pattanayak & George L. Van Houtven & Brett R. Gelso, 2005.
"Combining Revealed and Stated Preference Data to Estimate the Nonmarket Value of Ecological Services: An Assessment of the State of the Science,"
05-19, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University, revised 2007.
- John C. Whitehead & Subhrendu K. Pattanayak & George L. Van Houtven & Brett R. Gelso, 2008. "Combining Revealed And Stated Preference Data To Estimate The Nonmarket Value Of Ecological Services: An Assessment Of The State Of The Science," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(5), pages 872-908, December.
- Bockstael, Nancy E. & Freeman III, A. Myrick, 2006. "Welfare Theory and Valuation," Handbook of Environmental Economics, in: K. G. Mäler & J. R. Vincent (ed.), Handbook of Environmental Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 12, pages 517-570 Elsevier.
- Taylor, R. Garth & Woodall, Stacie & Wandschneider, Philip R. & Foltz, John C., 2004. "The Demand for Wine Tourism in Canyon County, Idaho," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 7(04).
- Dietrich Earnhart, 2004. "Time is Money: Improved Valuation of Time and Transportation Costs," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 29(2), pages 159-190, October.
- Rowan, Emma & Longo, Alberto, 2009. "Enriching Stakeholder participation through Environmental Valuation; Eliciting Preferences for a National Park Designation in Northern Ireland," 83rd Annual Conference, March 30-April 1, 2009, Dublin, Ireland 51071, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Whitehead, John C. & Haab, Timothy C. & Huang, Ju-Chin, 2000.
"Measuring recreation benefits of quality improvements with revealed and stated behavior data,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 339-354, October.
- John C. Whitehead & Timothy C. Haab & Ju-Chin Huang, 1999. "Measuring Recreation Benefits of Quality Improvements with Revealed and Stated Behavior Data," Working Papers 9902, East Carolina University, Department of Economics.
- Aillery, Marcel P. & Moore, Michael R. & Weinberg, Marca & Schaible, Glenn D. & Gollehon, Noel R., 1999. "Salmon Recovery In The Columbia River Basin: Analysis Of Measures Affecting Agriculture," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 14(1).
- Woodall, Stacie & Wandschneider, Philip R. & Foltz, John C. & Taylor, R. Garth, 2002. "Valuing Idaho Wineries With A Travel Cost Model," 2002 Annual Meeting, July 28-31, 2002, Long Beach, California 36613, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Feather, Peter & Shaw, W. Douglass, 1999.
"Estimating the Cost of Leisure Time for Recreation Demand Models,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 49-65, July.
- Feather, Peter & Shaw, W. Douglass, 1998. "Estimating The Cost Of Leisure Time For Recreation Demand Models," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20855, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Smith, V. Kerry, 1997.
"Time and the Valuation of Environmental Resources,"
97-36, Duke University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.